Populate the card slots

megnin

I have a worksheet with a list of part numbers for a chassis and about 50 cards to fit in the slots of the chassis.

We use this as a configuration tool because all of the slots must be filled in the chassis and if any are not filled with cards, then slot "blanks" must be added to fill the empty slots. There is also a part number for the "blank".

I currently have a formula in a cell near the "blank" part number that reports the number of blanks needed based on the quantities input for the other cards. ...color coded green and red for "go" or "no go", etc. This works fine.

There is a diagram of the chassis on the worksheet, 14 columns accross (one for each "slot") and about 15 rows tall. Let's call the chassis diagram A1:N15. Each column represents a slot. So we have slots "A" through "N".

Here the tricky part... What I've been requested to do is to "animate" the diagram so that when a quantity is typed in the quantity column for the part numbers a column or columns are "populated" or appear to be filled in.
Lets say column "P" is the part number list and column "Q" is where quantitys are input.

If a "1" is entered in P5 (for example) then the first slot should appear to be filled (conditional formatting, change green?).
Then, say, "2" is entered in P6 for a quantity of two of that part number, then the next two slots should look filled.

The purpose is to give a visual feedback representing the state of the chassis and indicate when the slots are all filled.

P7 may be the "blank" slot covers, so the remaining slots would be filled by (14-P5+P6) slot covers. The necessary quantity will be entered into P7 and the appropriate number (hopfully all remaining) of slots populated with a different looking "format" to represent a "blank" or cover in place instead of a card in the slot.

Any help is appreciated. I am happy to past an example of the chassis diagram or provide any other details. The diagram is quite simple though; just a square with 14 columns.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Oh, sorry... If I may add a kink... P10 and P11 are special cards that can only go into slots 7 and 8 represented by columns G and H. :oops:

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfairbro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back