Popularity Jump ??

DonkeyOte

MrExcel MVP
I notice that today the Active User figure has LEAPT from it's normal figure by around 100%... this morning I logged on around 7am UK time and there were 150 people viewing the Excel Questions forum as opposed to the norm of around 60 for that time of day... as I speak (10am) there are 300+ active users which is more than double the usual... has Mr E jumped in the google stakes or something ??

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
They're just here to look at your cool new username ;-)

I must admit I hadn't noticed - the number of registered users logged in looks to be about the same, so maybe it's just a whole slew of new bots crawling around?

I've noticed several bots floating around, but I have also found myself greeting a few new people to the boards each morning, much more than what it was like a month ago! I think our name got let loose somewhere new and a lot more found out about us!:)

I've noticed several bots floating around, but I have also found myself greeting a few new people to the boards each morning, much more than what it was like a month ago! I think our name got let loose somewhere new and a lot more found out about us!:)

But I'm not ready for fame quite yet!!!!

What, in this context, is a bot?
Its basically a zombie computer that is usually just used to distribute spam or hack websites from what I know. You hear of spam rings that have rooms of hundreds or thousands of computers, that all they do is hit forums and other sites to screen scrape e-mail addresses typically to use for spam.

That is why you should never post your e-mail to a forum post as it may end up on a spam list.

Hello,

I am not testing anything this morning, so I'm not quite sure... As for bots and this:

Its basically a zombie computer that is usually just used to distribute spam or hack websites from what I know. You hear of spam rings that have rooms of hundreds or thousands of computers, that all they do is hit forums and other sites to screen scrape e-mail addresses typically to use for spam.

That is why you should never post your e-mail to a forum post as it may end up on a spam list.
You're talking about a Worm, which is more of a malicious deal. Ordinarily, Bots are harmless, or actually useful, if you want your pages to be indexed and searchable by major search engines, see the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_bot

But yes, this too is another good reason why you should not post sensitive data, as that will in turn be searchable and indexed. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back