pop up chart hover label

lisaJ

Hi , I have a Scattergram chart that lists how many hours a group of individuals have been sick from work. The Y axis represents the # of times each person was sick and the X axis represents the # of hours. The chart right now shows points on the graph and when you mouse over each point you get a pop up that shows the value of each point ie # of hours worked and the # of times. I would like the name of the person to also show in the pop up.
I downloaded the chart Hover label from

http://www.tushar-ehta.com/excel/software/chart_hover_label/

However these labels are fixed on the chart rather than showing only when you mouse over the points. The result is that you end up with names overlapping and you cannot read them :cry: . Please help!! Thank you
Lisa J :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hover Chart Label

Hi Andrew, thanks for your reply. I did go to TM, Datalabels on Hover, Set hover.
As I mentioned in my original post, when I do this it gives me labels that are fixed on the chart rather than the ones that pop up when you mouse over. I find when the names are fixed they overlap each other and are hard to read. I want the names to appear ONLY when you mouse over.
Thanks

Upvote 0
For me the labels appeared when I moused over them and disappeared when I moved away. They weren't permanently visible.

Upvote 0
Hover Chart Label

Hi Andrew, yes that's exactly what I want. What am I doing wrong? Can I email you my chart and maybe you can see what I am doing wrong?

I have my hours in the x axis and the number of incidences in the y axis. Both of these values show in the pop up when I mouse over a point in the chart. There is a column in my spradsheet with names that are attached to the values but how do I get them to show up in the pop up?
LisaJ

Upvote 0
Hover Chart Label

Hi, I thought I had it I but I don't. My x axis (hours) and my y axis (incidents) are plotted on on the chart and showing values in my hover label. I want to add peoples names to the data points and also to show in the hover label. How can I link the peoples names to either the x or the y axis in order to plot them in the correct spot in order to have them appear in the hover label? I hope this makes sense.
LisaJ

Upvote 0
Let's say you have the following data in the range A1:C4 on Sheet1:

Name X Y
Bill 1 4
Fred 2 5
John 3 6

Create an XY (Scatter) chart with the following Series:

Code:
Name         X Values     Y Values
=Sheet1!$A$2 =Sheet1!$B$2 =Sheet1!$C$2 
=Sheet1!$A$3 =Sheet1!$B$3 =Sheet1!$C$3 
=Sheet1!$A$4 =Sheet1!$B$4 =Sheet1!$C$4

When you hover over the first point the popup will show:

Series "Bill" Point "1"
(1 , 4)

Is that good enough?

Upvote 0
Well, this is the way that I ended up doing it. I hoping to find an easier way as I had to create 250 series because I had 250 names and data points. The good thing is I won't have to do any maintenance so it was worth the work. Thank you for your help.
LisaJ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back