please solve this riddle

sham1983

We have total 12 balls in which 11 balls have same weight but only ball has different weight. You have allow three times to weight all balls and remove one ball which has different weight and tell me the weight of that ball.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Maybe:

Split the balls into 3 sets of 4 balls. Weigh 2 sets of 4 and find out if equal or not. From that you will know if one of the sets of balls weighed is lighter or if they are the same, if the same then the lighter set must be the set that you haven't weighed.

Split the lighter set of balls into sets of 2 balls. Weigh again to find the lighter set of 2 and then weigh each of the balls from the ligher set to determine which is the lightest ball.

Dom

Similar:

Weigh 6 on each side, take the lighter set and split to two sets of 3.
Now weigh any two of the lighter triplet. If they balance, the lighter one is the one you didn't weigh in the third go. If they don't you will know which is the lightest.

Denis

This took me a wee while to work out but if you don't know if the different ball is heavier or lighter then this should do it:

Weigh 1 to 4 vs 5 to 8.

If 1 to 4 = 5 to 8, then weigh 1 & 9 vs 10 & 11. If these are the same weigh 1 vs 12, otherwise 1 & 12 vs 9 & 11. Different outcomes give varying answers as to which ball is different and whether it is lighter or heavier.

If 1 to 4 < 5 to 8, then weigh 1, 2 & 5 vs 3, 4 & 7. If these are the same weigh 10 vs 8, but if 1+2+5 < 3+4+7 then weigh 1 vs 2, else 3 vs 4. Again, different outcomes for the 3rd weigh give different answers as to which ball is different and whether it is lighter or heavier.

See if you can work out the 3rd sequence if 1 to 4 > 5 to 8.

Andrew

P.S. Done properly, you should be able to cover all 24 instances of balls 1 to 12 being either heavier or lighter.

Last edited:
Hello,

As the OP says, that you are allowed to weigh the balls for 3 times and get the weight of the 12th ball which infact is a lighter ball. We now have an *idea* as how to go about finding out the lighter ball.

How do we arrive at a conclusion in respect to the weight of the ball ? Anyone having some pointers ?

How do we arrive at a conclusion in respect to the weight of the ball ? Anyone having some pointers ?
I would assume if we are weighing the balls, we are using some sort of scale to get weight. When I first saw this, I thought of Domski's approach.

But all the approaches rely on old-fashioned scales - measuring one (set of) ball(s) against another - so no actual weights involved.

If it is a scale that gives an actual weight instead of a scale that compares weight....
Code:
1) Weigh a random ball
2) Weigh a second random ball
    If (1) and (2) weigh the same, then you know that is the weight of the heavier ball.
    If (1) or (2) is lighter than the other, then the lighter one is the weight of the lighter ball.
3) Weigh ALL balls, the total weight = 11*(weight of heavier ball) + weight of lighter ball.

OK, but the question is about the weight of the lighter ball as well.
I don't think you can do it with three steps only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back