Please help me understand the Form rules

Brian F

I have read the "Rules for posting" and the FAGs a couple of times. This statement appears in the "Rules";
"At the top of every forum index is a link labeled "View Your posts in this forum." Use this link to find your posts. You can "bump" posts back up to the top by posting a reply in the thread.”
I have searched and search and can find no link that will bring me to my previous posts. The only way I know to find my previous post is to record the time I posted and search for my posting by using the time I posted as a reference. I have also never seen anything “bump” to the top of the Forum, once my question is a couple of pages down the line, that’s the end of it, I will receive no more responses.
I was reprimanded for “reposting” yesterday and told to post my questions on my original thread, which was by that time gone (removed?). In my mind it wasn’t the same question but is was related, so okay. I don’t want to violate the rules. I greatly appreciate this form and the help people have given me.
If I don’t get an answer or the response is insufficient and I post that fact (and I get no reply) would courtesy dictate that I go away for a day or so before trying again? If that is the way it is, fine; I just want to understand.

To find your posts choose Quick Links|Subscribed Threads from the menu bar near the top of the page.

To "bump" reply to your thread with Bump or Help or whatever.

I have moved this thread to a more appropriate area for the subject matter.

Andrew Poulsom. Thank you for that information. It seems like the kind of thing that would be good to have in the FAQs or the "Rules". What one actually has to do is not what the "rules" say you have to do.

Vog, I'm sorry, I don't understand. Are you saying that the act of replying "bumps" my question in some way? That I replied will keep the issue in play but it doesn't move it "back up to the top" in any way does it. Isn't that a misstatement in the "rules"? I'm not trying to be purposely obtuse here. I feel like I'm in a another culture continually uncertain about what will give offense. Perhaps it will make more sense not that I know how to find my previous posts.

Where is the appropriate form to have asked this question?

The act of replying does bump the question in some way.
Specifically, it bumps it up to the top of the list of questions (or almost to the top, below the stickies). So yes, it does move it "back up to the top".
But it will only be on top until someone else makes another post in some other thread, and at busy times, that might be a split second later.
If you're lucky, your bumped thread may stay on the front page for a few hours, but again at busy times, maybe only a few minutes.
Bumping in itself shouldn't give offence, but bumping unreasonably quickly may do. I think there is guidance in the FAQs on this, but bumping a few minutes after the OP may well give offence to some, as it may be seen as implying that you think the forum owes you some kind of instant gratification. OPs DO sometimes get answered almost instantly, but obviously not always.
Bear in mind, there is at least one good reason why it's NOT a good idea to bump.
There is a view that many people (myself included) often use, which shows only unaswered threads. If you bump, your thread is no longer unanswered, and may be missed by people focusing on the unanswered threads.

Another route to your own threads:

search | advanced | search by user name

...and search for yourself.

Or you can just hit User CP.

In User CP (control panel), under Edit Options and then in the messages and notifications area, you can select the option to be subscribed to your own threads. Then the Quick links | Subscribed Threads will quickly list your own posts. There's no right or wrong to bumps, but once a day is probably enough, or twice a day if you are desperate. Unanswered posts appear in the unanswered threads list, which is checked by many experienced members, at least so far as unanswered threads in the last 24 hours goes. So for the first 24 hours, it's best *not* to bump your post. A bump is any reply to your own post, often, simply and literally, "Bump".

As an FYI, the rule dicussing "bumps" and duplicate posts can be seen in rule #9 here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99490.

I echo xenou's sentiments. Many of the "power" users (and other users) use the "Show Unanswered Threads" tool, which shows all the unasnswered threads (by default, from the past 24 hours, I believe). So I always recommend people wait at least 24 hours before making their first bump. There are are experts all over the world logging on at a different times. So I think your best bet is to leave it for 24 hours so everyone can see it is unanswered before starting to bump it.

If you do not get any replies within 24 hours, that is often a sign that your question may be unclear, complex, or very difficult. I have seen people put an entire project in a thread. The chances of that getting a reply are very slim. Besides being complex, it often appears that the asker is simply looking for someone to do their project for them. If that is the case, they should be looking for consultants (Mr. Excel does offer consulting too).

What's a 'power' user?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agata

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back