Pivot Table mixing numbers and text fields

iosiflupis

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table that has columns for tracking weather via METARs. METARs are messages that are used by aviation to pass weather readings. They are usually generated hourly, unless otherwise required, every day. I have a table that has 99K rows of data. Each day has between 22 - 28 rows of data. I have a pivot table that is set up to aggregate data by YEAR, QTR, MONTH, and DAY. This works just fine for data that is in numerical formats. Unfortunately I also have 6 columns that have textual data that I would like to be able to also aggregate. Does anyone know of a way to aggregate this textual data so that for each day there would be one row and if there was a textual entry in any one, or more than one, column that it would be reported in some fashion?

I tried grouping, sorting, and making the textual data into numbers and had no luck. The columns that have the textual data are: SNOW, RAIN, MIST, LIGHTNING, THUNDERSTORM W/RAIN, and PRESENT WX CODE.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• WEATHER DATA SCREENSHOT FOR GROUPING.png
    WEATHER DATA SCREENSHOT FOR GROUPING.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
It looks like all of the columns except the last have the same value as the column header. Are these five mutually exclusive or not (do you ever get two weather types on the same record)? You may be able to consolidate those into one column.

There are some reporting statistics you can do with text, the most basic is COUNT .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back