Pivot Table Field List with "extra" fields

rafoliva

I was given an Excel 2007 spreadhsheet at work. In one worksheet I selected all of the cells containing data under columns A-E; that was 146 rows including the header row. After selecting Insert > PivotChart to be placed into a new worksheet, I noticed that many more columns were represented in the Field List! In fact there are 43 items in the Field List, where I was only expecting 5. :confused:

Then, with curiousity, I used this new Pivot Chart and discovered that there were well over 800 results available, when the source spreadsheet only shows 145 rows of data!

This "extra" data is useful, but I can't find the corresponding data in this spreadsheet! I've checked for hidden rows and columns in the source worksheet, but can't find any. And there are only two worksheets, neither of which has anywhere close to 800 rows of data.

And here's another wrinkle: if I select a slightly different cell range, perhaps by increasing the selection to include the 147th row, then the resulting PivotTable Field List will only show the 5 fields corresponding to columns A-E. This also happens if I select all rows and columns. In other words, the "extra" items in the Field List only show up if I select the exact range of cells that corresponds to the "natural" data in the source worksheet. :eek:

I hope that an Excel master will help me understand this vexing, but interesting problem. In fact I'd love to know how to "recover" the "missing data" into the source worksheet.

I'm using Excel 2007, but the file is in 2003 format (.XLS). Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back