Pivot Table Data Crunching

blubblub

After being the lucky winner of the last challenge I got a lot of the books (thanks for that ;)). Only recently I actually sat down to read one of them. My choice was to start with the Pivot Table Data Crunching. I knew about the basics of Pivot tables but was never really excited about them, so thought this might be nice to start with.

Anyways, here's my opinion on the book.
I liked the business case and examples very much and also everything was quite well explained. I do have some suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Following the examples
As I normally like learning by doing I tried following the examples in the book. This was however quite unclear. It was unclear when I could or had to do something and often I could not find the matching data file or found one but it appears it has different values. Also perhaps some more exercises could help to practice.

Suggestion 2: Structure
Some chapters cannot be practiced unless you work in a company and have certain privelages. I would suggest to move those chapters to the end.

These are just some small details, overall the book has helped me in understanding and using PivotTables a lot.

p.s. not quite sure if this is the correct thread to post this 'review' or if it's even appreciated.....

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I am interested in the places where your company priveleges would not let you try certain items. Can you drop me an e-mail (bill at mrexcel.com) and give me some details on that?

I am always surprised what some companies do with the group policy that affects Office.

I actually meant you have to be in a company. It's the chapter concerning Sharepoint if I'm not mistaken and sharing your file with others.

I will go over the same chapters again here at my work, to see if I can do them.

Hi,

In Chapter 2 of the book, it instructs you to go to http://www.MrExcel.com/pivotbookdata.html to downloaded the file ptdc1.zip and extract the file Chapters 1-4 Sample Data.xls.

I downloaded the zip file and extracted the xls file. When I opened the file, it does not seem to display the data source. Instead it gives a pivot table that seems to already be complete. I want to do the exercise in Chapter 2 but it seems that this is the incorrect source file. I thought it was supposed to be the data source for Figure 2.6 in the book.

Please advise,
mgar

Re: Pivot Table Data Crunching (pls disregard previous post)

Please disregard my previous post. I did not scroll far enough to the left to see the entire spreadsheet:oops:. I'm all set now. How embarrassing.

mgar

Hi,

In Chapter 2 of the book, it instructs you to go to http://www.MrExcel.com/pivotbookdata.html to downloaded the file ptdc1.zip and extract the file Chapters 1-4 Sample Data.xls.

I downloaded the zip file and extracted the xls file. When I opened the file, it does not seem to display the data source. Instead it gives a pivot table that seems to already be complete. I want to do the exercise in Chapter 2 but it seems that this is the incorrect source file. I thought it was supposed to be the data source for Figure 2.6 in the book.

Please advise,
mgar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baldred

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back