Pivot Table Data Crunching Book _ Chapter 3

thu

Hi,
I just bought "Pivot table data crunching for microsoft excel 2007" & I'm a newbie to this forum. Please take a look at PT2007Chap3.xlsx on this website ***removed by Admin***. In "Sample Dataset" sheet, there's no "Quarters" field. However, if I create a pivot table using this data set, I see a "Quarters" field in the PivotTable Field List. If I copy the data in "Sample Dataset" sheet to a new worksheet & create a new pivot table, I don't see the "Quarters" field any more. How do we create the "Quarters" field & why do I see this behavior? Your help is appreciated.

Thu

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Could anyone please help me? I'm trying to ignore this & move on to other sections of chapter 3 & couldn't continue because of this missing concept. For example, figure 3.36 contains a month field & I don't see the month field when I create a new pivot table from the given dataset in PT2007Chap3b.xlsx. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,
I just bought "Pivot table data crunching for microsoft excel 2007" & I'm a newbie to this forum. Please take a look at PT2007Chap3.xlsx on this website Excel 2007 Pivot Table Data. In "Sample Dataset" sheet, there's no "Quarters" field. However, if I create a pivot table using this data set, I see a "Quarters" field in the PivotTable Field List. If I copy the data in "Sample Dataset" sheet to a new worksheet & create a new pivot table, I don't see the "Quarters" field any more. How do we create the "Quarters" field & why do I see this behavior? Your help is appreciated.

Thu

It's something left over in the pivotcache. I'm not exactly sure (yet) how. If you delete the other sheets, it will clear the cache and when you create a new table from scratch, that field won't be there.

Update: it's a calculated field. The pivot table used to create was removed, but the field remained as part of the cache

Thanks for your help, starl. I really appreciate your help. Calculated field is not introduced in chapter 3 yet. I'll skip this chapter & go to the next chapter since there are a lot of pivot tables in this chapter that I can't create from the current sample data file & my current knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back