Pivot table - Compare with week prior

Naggeneen

Hey all,

I've come up against a situation with which I could use some input. I have a worksheet which contains a variety of web campaign measures for a given date. I've created a column which holds (via concatenate) a value for each row so that I can uniquely identify it and find the equivelant value for the same day one week prior. So something like:

PlatformSiteAdvertiserDate Key, Platform, Site, Advertiser, Date, Measure 1, Measure 2, Measure 3

To this, I added a column to calculated the previous week date and created a new key called 'Previous PlatformSiteAdvertiserDate Key'. Then I added three new measure columns to show the previous week data. So now I have:

Previous PlatformSiteAdvertiserDateKey, PlatformSiteAdvertiserDate Key, Platform, Site, Advertiser, Previous Date, Date, Measure 1, Measure 2, Measure 3, Measure 1 (previous), Measure 2 (previous), Measure 3 (previous).

I felt that this would be a good way to do a pivot table that would compare all of the data for a given day with equivelant data from the same day the week prior.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that for any selected day, my previous week comparison columns ONLY contain data where the selected day's data had data from the week before (the campaign was running a week earlier) and does NOT include data where the campaign had ended within the 6 days prior to the selected date.

Have I gone about this all wrong and need to scrap it and start over? Or do you have an idea about how I can also include the data from the previous week's day which is not already being represented in the pivot table (meaning that the particular campaign ended within the 6 days before the selected date)?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Naggeneen

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Hi all!

Just checking in as I could really use the help on this one. Maybe it's better if I step back and just describe the problem I'm having?

Let's say that I have about five measures in a worksheet which are organized by day and website (often with hundreds or thousands of entries for a particular day).

I'd like to put together a pivot chart which would allow me to compare these five measures for a selected day with the same day in the previous week. How can I accomplish this where I can select the first date (for the day in which I'm interested) and have the data for the same day in the previous week also displayed.

Filters: Date1 [selected day] and Date2 [same day previous week]

Measures: Website, Measure 1 (selected day), Measure 1 (same day previous week), Measure 2 (selected day), Measure 2 (same day previous week), etc.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- edit note -->

Upvote 0
Sorry... I just noticed above that I'd said I was creating a "pivot chart" instead of a "pivot table"... just wanted to be sure I corrected that and was at least trying to be clear!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm actually having the same type of problem, anybody want to help? Naggeneen, did you figure out a solution?

Upvote 0
Nope. Looks like there may not be one to be had, unfortunately. Although I'd had high hopes. :)

- Naggeneen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back