pie in pie chart label

matttclark

Board Regular
Hello,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I have a pie-in-pie chart that the client wants to see the ‘value’ and the ‘category name’ in the data labels. I am actually using financial data but to keep the terms simple I’ll use a pet store example. Say I have sales figures for lizards, fish, birds, hamsters and rabbits. The client wants the small pie to contain a specific set of data, so I have manually dragged the slices between the small and large pies so that the sales of lizards, fish and birds are in the large pie and the hamsters and rabbits in the small pie. On the large pie each value shows its category name (hamsters, etc.) and $$ except the parent slice of the small pie which shows “Other” (excels default value) and the total $$ for the small pie (hamsters and rabbits). The client would like the name to say “Mammals” instead of “Other” which I can manually edit in that data label, but then some link gets broken to the underlying data. Now any changes to the source data will not update in the parent slice (the small pie works fine). I have tried a couple of options to resolve this… a) turn labels off, update the data, turn back on, manually overtype the “other” label b) tried to make only the category name text in the parent slice white so it wouldn’t show, then place a text box over it with the word “mammals”. None are really satisfying. Any suggestions? Is there an automation way to do this, a macro to accomplish a) above, or a way to get under the covers to change the default value of other? This would have to be workbook specific of course
<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Glenn, thanks, i saw this. while he did change the large pie slice from "other" to 'americas' (as i did in a similar way) he does not speak to what happens when you try and update the data, which is my problem. i saw this last week and actually used his 'Central Pie with Smaller Satellite Pies' trick further down in the article to workaround the problem temporarily (there are other issues in doing this with data updates and label positions). however, the basic problem it is still there. this has been an issue on different machines/installs of excel in both 2003 and 2007 versions so i am pretty sure it is an inherent issue in excel not just my pc's. what i am trying to find is does anyone have a manual work around or a macro that can change the name on the fly from the default 'other' to a new name and back every time the data is updated. thanks again, matt

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidd30528

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back