Photographs

Ally Bally

I have a database of around 500 records. Each record has a series of photographs which need to be linked to the relevant record. The problem is that there are up to 30 photos per record and therefore I guess this would use a huge amount of memory if I embedded each phot. Links seem to be the logical route but is there any fast way to link the photos rather than manually inputting each link to each separate photo?

I am stuck and want to avoid a lengthy clerical excercise if at all possible!!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
How do the photograph names relate to the record? Also, how do you want the photos to be displayed, stored in the tables or on a form or report? A good way to accomplish this would be through using "application.FollowHyperlink". If you can supply some more details I could help you accomplish this better. Ex - What is a record name and the photograph file name?

Upvote 0
Hi
At present I have set up OLE links stored in the main data table. The form has a photo tab and I have created 30 fields which are bound objects connected to the photo fields in the table. Each record has a unique ID and this is used as the folder name and each photo has a number within the folder.

The photos probably can't be stored in access because of the memory required so the only way I can think to acheive the ablity to view the photos of each site, they are records of sites with photos of the equipement on each site, is using links. This is very slow to create each link and the database seems to be very slow as you scroll through the records.

Does this help?

Alain

Upvote 0
Take a peek at this. It's definately a different full proposal, but some ideas are related.

http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=76427

On getting the urls into access.
What if you dropped all the images into a single directory and then read the names of all the files into a table. Mainly this would keep you from typing them. That might not keep you from manually doing the links but it might be easier to cut n paste rather than type out everything.

Might even be something else you could try once you have it as data.

Mike

Upvote 0
Is there a naming convention for the picture files that would associate them with a particular record?

Peter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parlapalli

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back