Pesky Forms!

Bubbis Thedog

Do I not have the flexibility of putting textboxes into a form from different tables??? I've tried writing a query from multiple tables, and then putting them into a form, and it will not let me enter the data! All I'm wanting to do is populate five static tables, which are parents of a child. I'm not sure where the conflict is. I mean, not being able to add records to a child that do not exist in the parent, sure; but not being able to add records to a parent that contains the records that can be in the child? I'm not getting this.

Five static tables with two fields each: 1) Primary Key, 2) either a name or number that can not be repeated (I have validation set to do this). I'm trying to allow the user to populate all 10 fields on a single form. (Later I'd like to have the database generate primary keys automatically, but that's to come...)

Any sage information would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
It's not the form causing the problem it's the underlying query.

I bet you can't change the values in the datasheet view of the query either.

I don't know what relationships you have set up or how you are joining the tables in the queries but that is where the problem lies.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input, norie. And you're right, I can't modify the query either. I just wish that I didn't have to write a query to do what I want to do. If I want to enter legit data (that is, a primary key and the other field [that's it!]) into multiple static parent tables at once, I should be able to. A query will not work because the parent tables have nothing to do with each other. This is frustrating. :devilish:

Thanks again, norie.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiden Jenner

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back