Percentage of hours, based on size (weight?)

ddander54

Board Regular
I have a table of portfolio's that have varying number of clients and work hours. Each portfolio has 1-10 clients depending on the amount of work hours that are assigned, ie a portfolio with a large client with lots of work hours will only have 1 client, and a portfolio with clients with a small amount of hours may have 10 clients.

What I'm trying to do is to compare total work hours for a portfolio with the amount of repair hours and come up with a percentage (standard percentage), but then give 'credit' to the portfolio with 10 clients, vs the ones with only 1 client. I guess basically I'm saying that a 'small' percentage of repair is acceptable per client, but its gets skewed when we combine multiple clients into a portfolio, if that makes sense. so how do I 'level that out to be a more fair comparison in my formula?

Current % formula in B5 is '=B4/B3' (260/48171)

Hope my question makes sense....

Thanks,
Don

A1
Portfolio1
Portfolio2
Portfolio3
Portfolio4
Portfolio5
Portfolio6
# Clients
Hours
Break Fix
Fix/Hours %
1%
2%
9%
3%
15%
1%

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi, I'm not really sure what exactly you're trying to do here.

Please can you tell us what the results should be, for each portfolio ?

Don't worry too much about trying to explain the real world application of your situation, that may not be important, just focus on describing how your data is laid out - which I think you've done - and what exactly you want to do with it - which I don't understand at all.

Upvote 0
Gerald,

We are an IT PMO office and have 6 portfolios that each manage a specific number of client projects. Each portfolio is a self contained unit and manages their own resources (Program Manager, PM's, AppDev, BA, QA, etc).
Now to the data:
# Clients = The number of clients each portfolio does development work for
Hours = The total number of hours of work that client has in 2018 for us to do
Break/Fix = The total number of hours in 2018 that the Service Desk has to do as support work for that client
Fix/Hours % = BreakFix/Hours

So if I think of it this way....My team does great work and delivers projects with 0 defects, then the Break/Fix hours would be zero (utopia), or My team missed something in their delivery and that caused xx hours of Break/Fix work.
But I say that with a grain of salt because there will be an acceptable (hopefully small) percentage of Break/Fix with every client that is needed for IT Support to turn switches on/off, add a new entry to a table, etc

That said...It seems like Portfolio5 gets penalized more because they have a small amount of work and a large amount of clients, therefore a larger percentage of Break/Fix. So just doing the straight percentage BreakFix/Hours doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

So my question is this...if I were a Statistician or Mathematician, how would I best reflect Portfolio5 vs the rest of the Portfolios? It seems like I could use the number of clients as the 'weight' to even out the percentage a little more (ie, compare apples to apples), but I would think that I also need to use hours as a 'weight' as well.

So this is somewhat of a philosophical question, but I'm also asking for input as to how to 'do the math' in Excel.

Hopefully that helps you understand what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Don

Upvote 0
OK I'm sorry I can't help you with this one, I think first of all you need to work out for yourself the "philosophical question" of how to do this.

Once you've done that, I or someone else can probably help you work out the Excel maths.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back