Passing variables through SQL Statements in VBA

UBSDev

I have a loop that runs a SQL statment, and I'd like to run a variable through this statement, but I can't seem to find the correct syntax.

For example,

Dim T As String
T = "Table1"

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT " & T & ".* FROM " & T

The variable seems to disappear when I do this, so the statement goes through as SELECT .* FROM ... which of course fails.

I've tried putting brackets and parentheses around the variable but that doesn't make any difference. I need to use a variable as I'm running the statement through a loop and the name of the table changes with each run-through.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
That code looks perfectly fine to me.

Is that all the code?

Upvote 0
I agree with Norie and would add that - if I am not mistaken - a simple SELECT is not available to .RunSQL (SELECT INTO is okay). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
Actually, that was an example...this is the actual code I'm working with -- the variable 'TName' just doesn't seem to register.

LastDate = DLookup("[Date]", "TblLastDate")

EmailDate = LastDate

SQLCode = "INSERT INTO TblEmail ( RunDate, Account, [Primary Broker], [Billing Symbol], [Security Number], [Share Amount], [Dollar Amount], [Waiver Reason]) " & _
"SELECT (SELECT Max(" & TName & ".Field3) AS RD FROM " & TName & " HAVING ((Left([Field3],1) Between '0' And '1'))) AS RD, " & TName & ".Field4, " & TName & ".Field5, " & TName & ".Field6, " & TName & ".Field9, " & TName & ".Field12, " & TName & ".Field13, " & TName & ".Field14 " & _
"FROM " & TName & " WHERE (((" & TName & ".Field4) Is Not Null And (" & TName & ".Field4) Not Like ('*ACCOUNT*')) AND ((" & TName & ".Field5) Is Not Null And (" & TName & ".Field5) Not Like ('*PRIMARY BROKER*')));"

Do While EmailDate < Now()

M = IIf(Len(Month(EmailDate)) = 2, Month(EmailDate), 0 & Month(EmailDate))
D = IIf(Len(Day(EmailDate)) = 2, Day(EmailDate), 0 & Day(EmailDate))
Y = Right(EmailDate, 2)

EMailFile = M & D & Y
TName = EMailFile
MyDir = Dir(EmailDir & EMailFile & ".txt")

If MyDir <> "" Then

DoCmd.TransferText acImportFixed, "Email Specification", TName, EmailDir & EMailFile & ".txt"
DoCmd.RunSQL SQLCode
End If

EmailDate = EmailDate + 1

Loop

Upvote 0
Again, insufficient code is shown to say anything. Starting in the middle of your code like that, you can't see how TName is assigned before its first use. And are you using Dim statements?

I suggest tracing TName in VBE, or sprinkling
Code:
Debug.Print "<" &  TName & ">"
The courtesy of snipping and shipping us only relevant code is appreciated, but methinks you just cut out the wrong stuff :-P

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply....here's the whole thing; I step through the code and TName is definitely showing up with the correct value; it's just not registering in the SQL Statement.

Private Sub Command0_Click()

Dim LastDate As Date
Dim EmailDate As Date
Dim EMailFile As String
Dim M As String
Dim D As String
Dim Y As String
Dim EmailDir As String
Dim TName As String
Dim MyDir
Dim SQLCode As String

EmailDir = "\\Psls16\Compliance_groups\Products Surveillance Group\PRODUCT SURVEILLANCE (NEW)\Mutual Funds\Tom Halpin\CDSC Waiver\Emails\"

LastDate = DLookup("[Date]", "TblLastDate")

EmailDate = LastDate

SQLCode = "INSERT INTO TblEmail ( RunDate, Account, [Primary Broker], [Billing Symbol], [Security Number], [Share Amount], [Dollar Amount], [Waiver Reason]) " & _
"SELECT (SELECT Max(" & (TName) & ".Field3) AS RD FROM " & (TName) & " HAVING ((Left([Field3],1) Between '0' And '1'))) AS RD, " & (TName) & ".Field4, " & (TName) & ".Field5, " & (TName) & ".Field6, " & (TName) & ".Field9, " & (TName) & ".Field12, " & (TName) & ".Field13, " & (TName) & ".Field14 " & _
"FROM " & (TName) & " WHERE (((" & (TName) & ".Field4) Is Not Null And (" & (TName) & ".Field4) Not Like ('*ACCOUNT*')) AND ((" & (TName) & ".Field5) Is Not Null And (" & (TName) & ".Field5) Not Like ('*PRIMARY BROKER*')));"

Do While EmailDate < Now()

M = IIf(Len(Month(EmailDate)) = 2, Month(EmailDate), 0 & Month(EmailDate))
D = IIf(Len(Day(EmailDate)) = 2, Day(EmailDate), 0 & Day(EmailDate))
Y = Right(EmailDate, 2)

EMailFile = M & D & Y
TName = EMailFile
MyDir = Dir(EmailDir & EMailFile & ".txt")

If MyDir <> "" Then

DoCmd.TransferText acImportFixed, "Email Specification", TName, EmailDir & EMailFile & ".txt"
DoCmd.RunSQL SQLCode
End If

EmailDate = EmailDate + 1

Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
Your constructing the SQL before you put a value in TName.:eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ibale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back