Passing ParamArray Not Working

hheydinger

Can't get ParamArray to work. Have looked at numerous examples online. But nothing sees to work. When I select Debug (F8) for the procedure TableRequest, I get an alarm(ding), but none of the VBA statements get highlighted, not even the Sub line.
VBA code is below. I would really appreciate a solution that works since I'm "tearing my hair out". Thanks.
Code:
  Sub Test()
  ' This macro should work for Excel 2003-2013.
  Dim sTable1 as String
  Dim sTable2 as String

Call Sub TableRequest(sTable1, sTable2)

Debug.Print “Tables are “ & sTable1 & “, ” sTable2

End Sub

Sub TableRequest(ByRef Y() As String)

' Prompt user for all applicable table names.

' This macro should work for Excel 2003-2013.

Dim sPrompt As String
  sPrompt = "Enter table name #1." 

Y(1)  = InputBox(sPrompt, "GET TABLE NAME")
  sPrompt = "Enter table name #2."

Y(2) = InputBox(sPrompt, "GET TABLE NAME")

End Sub

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
This is how you can use paramarray:

Code:
Sub Test()
  TableRequest "Table_1", "Table_2"
End Sub

Sub TableRequest(ParamArray sn())
   MsgBox "The first " & Join(sn, vbLf & "The second ")
End Sub

Upvote 0
Just another example:

In a Standard Module:
Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

Sub CallAnotherSubOrFunction()
Dim strMsg    As String
Dim bolStatus As Boolean

bolStatus = False

Call CalledSub(bolStatus, strMsg)

If bolStatus Then
    strMsg = "Item List:" & String(2, vbLf) & strMsg
    MsgBox strMsg
  End If

Call CalledSub(bolStatus, strMsg, "Item 1", "Item 2")

If bolStatus Then
    strMsg = "Item List:" & String(2, vbLf) & strMsg
    MsgBox strMsg
  End If

End Sub

Sub CalledSub(ByRef Status As Boolean, ByRef MsgString As String, ParamArray OptArgs())
Dim n As Long

If LBound(OptArgs) <= UBound(OptArgs) Then

Status = True

MsgString = vbNullString

For n = 0 To UBound(OptArgs)
      MsgString = MsgString & OptArgs(n) & vbLf
    Next

MsgString = Left$(MsgString, Len(MsgString) - 1)

End If

End Sub

Do those help at all?

Mark

Upvote 0
Mark -- thanks much for the quick response. That helped. Now I'm having trouble with syntax to pass an array of 10 strings from called routine back to calling routine w/o having to list them out in the Call and Sub statements. Proper dimensioning (10, not just 1) seems to be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Hi hheydinger,

Sorry for the slow response, I am afraid I've been busy and finding out some rather "unusual" expectations of me elsewhere. Anyways, if I am understanding your question, try stepping through this example with the Locals window open to see the values change and the array get passed back.

Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

Sub CallingSubOrFunction()
Dim arr_strFruitCombos(1 To 3)  As String
Dim strMsgText                  As String
Dim n                           As Long

arr_strFruitCombos(1) = "Oranges and "
  arr_strFruitCombos(2) = "Bananas and "
  arr_strFruitCombos(3) = "Pears and "

strMsgText = "I have these fruit combos" & vbLf & vbLf

For n = 1 To 3
    strMsgText = strMsgText & vbTab & arr_strFruitCombos(n) & vbLf
  Next

MsgBox strMsgText, vbOKOnly, vbNullString

strMsgText = "I have these fruit combos" & vbLf & vbLf
  GetSecondFruit arr_strFruitCombos

For n = 1 To 3
    strMsgText = strMsgText & vbTab & arr_strFruitCombos(n) & vbLf
  Next

MsgBox strMsgText, vbOKOnly, vbNullString

End Sub

Sub GetSecondFruit(ByRef PassedArray() As String)
Dim n As Long

For n = LBound(PassedArray) To UBound(PassedArray)
    PassedArray(n) = PassedArray(n) & " Apples"
  Next

End Sub

Does that help show how the array is passed (actually a pointer to the array) by reference, and thus can be changed?

Mark

Upvote 0
Mark - Sorry about not getting back sooner; I've been on the road a lot. Your example helped and I have the variables passing back/forth just fine. Now I have a new problem. I'm trying to save the name of a workbook when that file first gets opened. (I can't predict what other files the user may need to open and don't want to poll him for the filename.) So I declared Public sFileName as String in ThisWorkbook. Then in ThisWorkbook I have Private Sub Workbook_Open(), set sFileName = ActiveWorkbook.Name, and End Sub which is supposed to save the workbook name for later use . Later, when user is ready to populate about 5000 cells in the sFileName workbook, I display a userform progress meter. The userform seems to only work from code in a Module, but sFileName does not seem to be accessible from the Module code. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Now I have a new problem. I'm trying to save the name of a workbook when that file first gets opened. (I can't predict what other files the user may need to open and don't want to poll him for the filename.)

So I declared Public sFileName as String in ThisWorkbook.

You will want to start reading the VBA Help topics as well as examples on the web about Object and Class Modules (vs. Standard Modules). Variables (module-level) held in Object/Class modules are only really in existence as long as an instance of the object exists. To keep it simple for the moment though, while both the ThisWorkbook and sundry worksheet modules are Object Modules, they are accessible at any time, as of course a sheet's module must exist for the sheet to exist, and ThisWorkbook must exist for the workbook to exist.

Confused yet? It's not as complicated as it seems, but I wanted to mention for later if you try a Class and/or start trying to access a variable in a Userform's module (also an Object Module).

Anyways, a Public variable is accessible in ThisWorkbook, you have to qualify the call, like ThisWorkbook.MyVariable

There is no reason to though. Just plunk any needed Public variables into a Standard Module.

Then in ThisWorkbook I have Private Sub Workbook_Open(), set sFileName = ActiveWorkbook.Name, and End Sub which is supposed to save the workbook name for later use .

Use ThisWorkbook.Name instead of ActiveWorkbook.Name. Whilst the latter should never fail in the way being used, I would suggest this as at least IMO, it is just good habit. ThisWorkbook always refers to the workbook the code is running in, and like using sheets' CodeName(s), it is more specific (or explicit). Anytime you can refer to a specific Object (Workbook in our case, but Worksheet, a Range, etc) rather than the Active Object, we are better ensuring results.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FengXue

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back