Parsing Names and Addresses

John in PA

Can anyone help me separate names and addresses. I would like to break up First Name, Last Name, Middle Initial, etc. and also break up the address into House Number, Street, etc. The information is in two fields now. "Name" and "Address". Any help greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi,

Assuming that your data is always in the format First Name, Initial, Last Name then you can use a combination of Left$, Instr, Mid$ and Right$ to get what you need e.g.

SELECT Left$([MyTable]![Name],InStr(1,[MyTable]![Name]," ")-1) AS FirstName, Mid$([MyTable]![Name],InStr(1,[MyTable]![Name]," ")+1,1) AS Initial, Right$([MyTable]![Name],Len([MyTable]![Name]) InStr(1,[MyTable]![Name]," ")-2) AS Surname FROM MyTable;

You will need to adjust the table and field names to suit your table. You can use a similar method to break down the address. Also, you'll run into problems if the data is not in the format described above e.g. no initial in the name.

For what it's worth, this is a messy way to get what you need. If you can, take a look at re-designing your database with an individual field for first name, initial and surname and similar for the address. You'd eliminate the current problem you have and your database would fit more into recognised database design practices.

_________________<font face="Impact">Hope this helps,
Dan</font>
This message was edited by dk on 2003-01-12 18:31

Upvote 0
Thanks Dan! The data I'm working on was downloaded and I didn't have any control over the fields that's why I'm trying to separate them now. I'm going to try your code today. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MNexcelguy19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back