OP's initial post is displayed narrowly word wrapped.

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
The first post in all the threads show up as narrowly word wrapped on my screen with ample space to the right of the text not used. The first post does not utilize the full width of my screen. This applies only to the 1st post in a thread. All the subsequent posts, signatures, data tables, quotes, etc. don't have this problem.

I had suspected it may have been a compatibility issue with my Chrome browser. I've recently switched to FireFox and the problem persists. I don't have this issue on other sites using vBulletin.

On a related note: when the OP posts code wrapped in CODE tags, that code is then displayed in a code window way too small for the actual code, and the code has lost all Line-Feeds or carriage-returns. The code is essentially one long sentence. Again, this seems to happen only within the 1st post.

Are these known issues or is it me?

Isn't this caused by the ad in the top left of the post?

^^ I believe that is correct, also. If you are using an ad blocker or NoScript you might not see the adverts in the first post, but the space is still allocated to them.

With regard to the carriage returns, there are known issues but I think it is always when the OP is using an IE browser (either 9 or 10). I can't reproduce it myself (I use Firefox) so it's been a little hard to pin down.

Thank you for the replies.

Can anything be done to fix it, or is anyone working on it? I'm hoping more for a solution than an explanation of the cause.

The adverts help us to keep the site free but still pay for the cost of maintaining the servers, so that will affect the allocation of space in the first post. I haven't seen a solution to the carriage return issue. It's very hard to really pin it down since it seems to show up in a way that isn't defined and we haven't been able to reproduce it. If you can ... post the conditions under which this occurs. I suspect it is an IE problem but it seems not quite ubiquituous enough to be as simple as that.

I understand the need for the ads, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't understand why the ads have to affect the first post. The two are not mutually exclusive. It seems that's a fixable thing without removing the ads. There's got to be a way to make it work properly. Perhaps a question at vBulletin's support forum would yield a solution.

The next time I find another post with code and stripped CRs, I'll try and document it.

I thought the new line problem was separate from the enter key problem. It only affects content within code tags, and I believe it pre-dates IE10. Not sure though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tdeulkar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back