OPINIONS WANTED - User friendly - Question

business_analyst

Board Regular
Hello All,

I have a pretty nasty Userform that is filled with textboxes. To be specific, there are 10 Groups as column headers (Group 1, Group 2, etc.) and 71 inputs as row headers (1, 2, 3 ,etc). There is a textbox for every one of these entries. However, if you can imagine, it seems like a pretty daunting Userform for any user to look at and attempt to fill out.

I was wondering if anyone had any bight ideas about how to make this more user friendly. Whether it involves how the user can view them (perhaps tabs) or how the user can populate them (maybe a button for each row). I don't know, and it seems pretty hard to find information on the web about VBA applications and making them user friendly. So I figured I'd just make a thread to get opinions.:)

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Perhaps queing them?

So cut down on the amount that is displayed and then simply have it be page 1 of 5 with a next button at the bottom.

Clicking the next would bring up the 2nd user form with the continuation.

At least that seems to be what all surveys and exams attempt to do. Make you think you are done, though there is another page, etc, etc.

Would this be better suited for your needs?
jc

Upvote 0
If the choice the user has made in one text box may change the questions asked in the next box, then you could use "dependant lists". This could possibly cut down the number of boxes required.
It would mean applying a bit of logic to the questions asked in each drop-down, I'm assuming (like most forms) some of the questions are redundant based on an earlier choice

http://www.contextures.com/xldataval02.html

I'm not sure if this helps but it's just another idea up for elimination. Maybe if you posted a screen shot of the current layout, it may help people to visualise the problem better.

Upvote 0
There was an application I wrote some time back that required making all n x n textboxes available for the consumer to enter data as they wanted.

Other times, you can make the process less daunting -- something you recognized but many fail to do {grin}

If you expect people to enter data in a row (column) only after they have entered data in a previous row (column) show just one row (column). Then, only when necessary, add the next row (column).

Other than that, the nature of the userform would depend on how you expect consumers to interact with it.
Hello All,

I have a pretty nasty Userform that is filled with textboxes. To be specific, there are 10 Groups as column headers (Group 1, Group 2, etc.) and 71 inputs as row headers (1, 2, 3 ,etc). There is a textbox for every one of these entries. However, if you can imagine, it seems like a pretty daunting Userform for any user to look at and attempt to fill out.

I was wondering if anyone had any bight ideas about how to make this more user friendly. Whether it involves how the user can view them (perhaps tabs) or how the user can populate them (maybe a button for each row). I don't know, and it seems pretty hard to find information on the web about VBA applications and making them user friendly. So I figured I'd just make a thread to get opinions.:)

Upvote 0
0B8gfHZgrr108Yjg3ODFiM2YtZTkzNi00YzVjLThkZWEtOTExZjQ0OTM0ZGFh

Upvote 0
This is what it looks like now, the users may be in a position to fill out most cells and they may not. I think tusharm is right, I probably will just end up having to effect the input process in some way, rather than the look of it. Perhaps a combination of tabs and autofill buttons. I don't know, I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the help.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back