Opening a form and going to Add new record

Kully121

Hi,

Is there a procedure i can write for when a form opens in access it goes to a new record?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Do you only want to add new records?

If you do just set the Data Entry property of the form to Yes.

Upvote 0
Hi Norie,
This works just fine for me, I hope it does for Kully121 too.
I have put a command button on to my form to save the data I enter to the database.
Is there a way of wiping the form clear after the data has been entered?
Thankyou!

Upvote 0
Why do you need a command button to save the data?

If you move to the next record you will get a blank form and the data will be entered into the forms underlying table or query.

Upvote 0
I am still trying to solve the problems in my "searching read only database" thread.
We nearly have a system that works now, but have decided to lose the data entry via excel and just have a data entry form in Access instead. (supposedly simpler, and do not have the risk of it losing the link).

What we have is a data entry form and a data viewing form. The same people can enter the data and look at it, but we need to prevent them editing the records once they have been put in.

The data viewing form has been set so that the fields are locked - this nicely sorts out the searching and ensures it is read only. Thanks for your help in getting our heads round it.

The data entry form should be just that, and also EXTREMELY user friendly as some of our staff get frustrated very quickly......
So we have a form to fill in, and then you press the command button to save it. This brings up a blank record for the next entry but leaves the previous one available to edit.

Is there some code we can add to the "on click" event that will wipe it clean, or that will close and then reopen it? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Many thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help.
It is working now. We used your suggestion and then hid the navigation buttons which has the desired result as far as our users are concerned.
:biggrin:

Upvote 0
I suspect that page-up and page-down keys may still navigate; there may be menu items that do that; there may be a toolbar that has navigation keys (I haven't checked). In the spirit of where you're at now, it's probably overkill, but you could take more steps if you want or need.

I'm treading dangerously in the vile area of restriction or "overcontrol" as I say this, but one simple restriction would be to hide the Access menus in your distributed application. You've probably already gone through all of the form properties (and if not, you should); you can look at some other elementary items in the easy-to-read page http://cma.zdnet.com/guides/qa_access/Security/IMA_062001_030.html
It has a lot of basic steps for securing a database.

They are [often gray] judgment calls as to how far to take this stuff, and you may be fine where you're at; but these are just some ideas that you could extend your app. with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blake86

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back