Open an external file from excel and store the file path in a cell

sg401

This may sound odd, but I was looking for ways to create a macro that would open a a dialog box that would prompt the user for a file that would then store that filepath to a cell, allowing the user to click on the cell to open it again.

The excell sheet would serve as a checklist for many different users and would allow them to append documents (word, excel, powerpoint, jpeg) to certain item numbers in the excel spread sheet as references as back up for their data/comments.

An example of how i envision this working is the individual would click on a button linked to a cell, that button would bring up the dialog box that would allow the user to browse and open a file, that file would then be linked to that cell within the spreadsheet. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
i could suggest to look in the quick access toolbar options in the file tab and then record a macro, this may be what you want not sure, hope it helps

Upvote 0
Hey Fred,

I've tried that but it does not record a macro that I could easily use. Just a one line code. I would like to be able to click on an image located in cell A2, then have a prompt ask for a file, attach a file like a word doc or image (basically hyperlink the file), then have that filepath stored to that image in cell A2 so that whenever i clicked on it the file would open up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back