OnTime Confusion/Rant

hatman

Does anyone else find the OnTime Method to be Hokey? Or at least underdocumented?

Let's start SIMPLE.

Example 1:

Code:
Sub stuff()

Application.OnTime Now(), "stuff2"

End Sub

Sub stuff2()

MsgBox "hello"

End Sub

Fine, werx as expected. But what if I wanted to pass an argument?

Example 2:
Code:
Sub stuff()

Dim hlp As String

hlp = "Help"

Application.OnTime Now(), "stuff2(hlp)"

End Sub

Sub stuff2(a As String)

MsgBox a

End Sub

Yields an error.

Addition of Single Quotes will eliminate the error

Code:
Sub stuff()

Dim hlp As String

hlp = "Help"

Application.OnTime Now(), "'stuff2(hlp)'"

End Sub

Sub stuff2(a As String)

MsgBox a

End Sub

But upon closer examination, the variable 'a' is actually empty upon execution of stuff2. If anyone can tell me how to pass an argument, I'd be much obliged, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible.

Example 3 (real life application):

Yesterday, I was all proud of myself for figuring out how to make a Pair of Slaved ListBoxes work to my satisfaction. You'll notice that I used the Ontime Method to initiate an event that in turn raises the Change Event of the control that called it in the first place (placing the call directly within the Change Event of the control causes VBA to disable the call in order to prevent infinite recursion).

So this morning, I opened this file, and the functionality no longer worked AT ALL. No error messages, no hangups, just no activity following events that should be triggering stuff. By executing in break mode, I finally raised an error message on the issuance of the OnTime Method, which kindly informed me that the referenced Macro could not be found in the workbook (note the syntax of the message box calls out the ENTIRE file/pathname along with the Macro name). After a whole slew of experimenting this morning, I finally inferred that the routine being called must be public. I assume that when I tested this yesterday in a book that had not been saved, somehow I slipped in uder the radar since there was no file/pathname for the workbook yet, but upon saving it, Thisworkbook.Path became populated, which then made the Private Procedure invisible. I know, it makes no sense, but I tried it in a new workbook: the structure works fine in an unsaved workbook, save it, and it stops working.

So in order to make my code for Slaved ListBoxes work, I had to do what I HATE to do: create a Global Object Variable. Here is a simplified version of what I did:

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Set Spec_Conn_Uf = Me

End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Terminate()

Set Spec_Conn_Uf = Nothing

End Sub

Private Sub ListBox1_Change()

If Stp Then

If Me.ListBox1.ListIndex = 0 Then

If Me.ScrollBar1.Value > 1 Then

Application.OnTime Now() + 1 / 24 / 3600 / 100, "Decrement"

End If

ElseIf Me.ListBox1.ListIndex = Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1 Then

If Me.ScrollBar1.Value < Me.ScrollBar1.Max Then

Application.OnTime Now() + 1 / 24 / 3600 / 100, "Increment"

End If

End If

End If

End Sub
Code:
Global Spec_Conn_Uf As Special_Connectors

Sub Increment()

Spec_Conn_Uf.ScrollBar1.Value = Spec_Conn_Uf.ScrollBar1.Value + 1

End Sub

Public Sub Decrement()

Spec_Conn_Uf.ScrollBar1.Value = Spec_Conn_Uf.ScrollBar1.Value - 1

End Sub

(note: if you didn't check out the other thread, the Scrollbar_Change event has code that triggers the ListBox_Change event)

How messy is THAT code? Sure, it works, and does what I want... but the level of indirection needed to make it work falls into my definition of Cludge. And where in the documentation does it say that I can't do this the way I wanted to in the first place?

Seeing this in hidsight, I suppose that I can accept that OnTime somehow works like a Call statement that is issued from some ghost Module that needs to be able to "see" the procedure that it's trying to call. But up front, you figure that as long as you issue the command within the same Private Module where the called procedure is located, Ontime should have similar mechanics to the Call Statement.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back