Only load partial table into excel data model to optimize run time

maxxam

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

Situation: I have a backend excel file and I have a frontend excel file. The frontend files copies needed data from the backend table once a user logins. My frontend file creates various reports in forms of pivots and pivot charts. To create these the frontend model uses a data model were all the tables are connected via relationships. All the raw data at this point (after the login) is included in the frontend so no connections to outside data sources.

Problem: Everything works as it should, just the initial loading of the data model after the login takes like 15-20 seconds which is not the best user experience. So my idea was to reduce the size of the data model by only loading relevant columns. As it stands some of the tables have columns that are not needed to create the reports (but are necessary for other purposes) and therefor are unnecessary to have in the data model.

However I cannot seem to delete single columns from the data model. The button is greyed out and whenever i try to google this I find a lot on how to load partial data from other sources, however nothing on how to do that if the data is included in the same workbook.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Best,
Max

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back