One cell to choose between two cells

Ajb311

I run a restaurant and need some Excel help. I have a sheet and on that sheet are four columns.
Column 1- tips earned
Column 2- tips earned with a food runner
Column 3- name of food runner/ runners that worked(if they worked)
Column 4- amount of check written to servers

We write checks at night based on either column 1 or column 2 numbers depending on if a food runner worked that night.

I don't want to manually enter what we wrote the check for. So what I was wondering is, if there was a way that when I input a name, I.E.- Jose in column three, it will automatically take the number from column 2. And if we had no food runner that night it and no name is entered it would automatically pull the number from column 1. Thank you for any insight you can give me on this.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Perhaps something like this:

In column 4:

=IF(C2<>"",B2,A2)

Upvote 0
Are B2 and a2 the other columns? And does anything need to go between the quotation marks?

Upvote 0
Yes, A2 is column 1, B2 is column 2, C2 is column 3 and the formula goes into column 4. Nothing should be between the "".

Upvote 0
That worked! The only thing I need now is it to do it for multiple cells in column 3 in case there are multiple food runners

Upvote 0
Could you post a small example of multiple runners and what the expected output should look like?

Is it multiple runners per row/day?

Do you divide the amount in column 2 by the amount of runners?

Upvote 0
I just need it to also do the formula in case someone doesn't enter a name in the first cell of column 3. Say they enter the name in column 3 cell 2. You would assume they would be smart enough to enter in the first cell but just in case they are dumbies lol

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, I'm not quite understanding what you mean.

Based on the following example, can you tell me what the Column 4 results should be? Is the last example a possibility (row 4)?
Column 1Column 2
Column 3
Column 4
1000--
0100Benny
0100Benny, Johnny
100100Jim

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Column 1 column 2. Column 3. Col 4
Tips. Tips with food. Check. Name
Runner

100. 90.
100. 90
100 90

So, depending on if there is a name anywhere in column 4 I need column 3 to display what is in the corresponding column 2

Upvote 0
I guess I am a little confused. Do you want to check ALL of column 3 for a name and if there is a name anywhere in column 3 then copy the amount from column 2?

I was thinking each row was a different day/shift.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back