On posting "rules" for newbies

arkusM

Hello

It has been a while since I signed up for this board so I don't recall...
But I was wondering if any thought/discussion was given to auto-directing newly registered users to the "rules"/guidlines for posting. Maybe with a friendly, "if you would like a higher chance of getting replys to your questions please review the following posting guidlines:"

The idea is in the vein of helping folks post "good" questions that are clearer, blaa blaa.

I know that it would kind of like reading every licence agreement for software you install, but maybe it would help the newbie's find useful information for posting like, code tags and informative titles, posting HTML "screenshots" etc.

Maybe this as been talked about already. But, I thought I would float it.

Yes I know the FAQ exsists. What I am wiondering is if as a part of the sign-up process that the New user sees this page, or others like it, FIRST, before they are turned loose on the board. Kind of like learning the rules of the game before playing.

So, signup user name blaa blaa, once the submit button is pressed and the user is then created, the next thing they see is not the front of the board, but the FAQ, or something similar.

I don't feel too strongly either way, but one thing I will say is that I doubt many (the majority?) would bother reading it before they posted a question. You have a problem, you join up to post a question and get an answer - worries over how you ask a question don't enter your mind.

It's a good thing we're relaxed about question titles/crossposting etc though - at least we don't ban the poor noobs if they have have a poor title (unlike certain other forums);)

I don't feel too strongly either way, but one thing I will say is that I doubt many (the majority?) would bother reading it before they posted a question. You have a problem, you join up to post a question and get an answer - worries over how you ask a question don't enter your mind.

It's a good thing we're relaxed about question titles/crossposting etc though - at least we don't ban the poor noobs if they have have a poor title (unlike certain other forums);)

These thoughts crossed my mind, hence the software licence analogy...
The titles are a source of humour that is for sure.
I guess I tend to be **slightly** more conscientious about figuring out how to ask and an ALL volunteer board a question, though I am far from adequet myself! though I did look at the How-to post stuff back in the day.
But you are probally right for the effort, little reward... sigh.

This board sure does a lot of things well, a testament to the quality of the people that offically and unoffically run this board. Kudos.

I can't stop think of ways to improve stuff, it is a posion in my blood...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NghiVmexgdhh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back