Off Topic: Putting e-mail address from Access into PDF.

kojak43

My vendor list includes their e-mail address. I determine which vendor we are utilizing for stock photos and distill a PDF that is e-mailed to each vendor. The PDF shows a thumbnail of the actual image plus necessary specifications for them to price the license.

I would like to be able to make a hyperlink within the PDF document that will send it to the proper vendor. Right now I have to reselect the vendor's address and send it on it's way. Does anyone have any idea how this can be done?

Thanks

k

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Have you tried creating a hyperlink field in the Vendor table, and positioning it on the report that gets printed to PDF?

Denis

Upvote 0
Yes, I did that. But there is no joy once it becomes a PDF.

I can launch an e-mail within Access. In fact, it even will allow me to pre-print the subject line as well as address the e-mail. The problem with that is if my reader does not have Access, they can not open the file and see the images. The PDF handles that.

k

Upvote 0
That's weird. What app are you using for creating the PDF? Some do a better job than others -- if you have the full version of Acrobat it (I think 4 does it, 5 definitely does) you get functional hyperlinks.
Maybe you could try a calculated field, ="mailto:" & [MyEmailField]

The mailto: prefix is universally turned into an email address by apps that recognise hypertext.

Deniss

Upvote 0
Thanks. We might be gaining on this. I am using Acrobat 5. I looked up hyperlink in Acrobat's help and could not get it to work. It asked for a URL. But it seemed to require my typing that URL or perhaps an eMail addy for each PDF.

Is there someplace that has functional hyperlinks somewhere other than "links" I am certain I am just doing this *** backwards because of my ignorance.

You guidance is appreciated.

k

Upvote 0
I tried something that has potential.

Created a dummy report with the Vendor Email address.
In the Properties of the VendorEmail field (Format), I changed Is Hyperlink to Yes. This turned the email address into a clickable field.
Went to print via the Distiller --- and crashed :confused:
Give it a go though, I bet Acrobat recognises the hyperlink format (either the VendorEmail field, or the mailto: idea that I mentioned previously)

Denis

Upvote 0
I did as us suggested. Changed to Is Hyperlink to yes. Distilled report. Clicked on mailto link. No joy. All I get is the grabing hand. When I change cursor to arrow in the PDF, no action.

I then selected link tool. Ctrl and highlighed addy. It then gave me the same menu of things that don't work.

Went back to Access report. Tried to click on addy, assuming, incorrectly, if I made it Is Hyperlink, it would react. However, the cursor is just a magnifying glass. Grrrrr!

I do appreciate your effort. And I'm certain it will be working soon. I realize most 9th graders with a GameBoy are more computer literate than I, but it is so frustrating when I think I am doing something right, and it refuses to play nice.

k

Upvote 0
Went off to Adobe support and posted my needs.

I wrote that I wanted my Access created hyperlink to be functional in my PDF. What follows is a reply from WT Allen.

Do you want it so that when you personally click on a PDF freshly created from Access it opens a mail window?

If so, you're SOL because Access doesn't generate links in PDF documents, only PDFMaker (used from Word or Excel) will do that without some custome PS programming.

Hope this helps other's.

k

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doug Mize 1024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back