% of difference

GAHOOTENBOB

OK I am new to pivot tables and I am having difficulty getting the % of difference to work for me.

I have a field "units authorized" and another field "units served". All I want to do essentially is units served/units authorized. So I added a second field of Units Served to the table, named it "percent of units served", I selected a cell in that column and in the value fields settings I chose summarize by sum and in the show values as I chose % difference and selected units authorized for base field and I have tried selecting previous, next and the first value listed for the base item. I have been unable to get it to work so far and it always returns #N/A.

What am I doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I think you need what is called a "calculated field". You can read about it in the Excel Help file under "About calculations and formulas in PivotTable and PivotChart reports."

Upvote 0
Thanks Dan. I'll check that out.

I am curious...To use the % difference option do you have to be comparing the same field - like units served for 2007 vs 2008? and not comparing 2 different fields like I am trying to do?

Upvote 0
Yes, % of difference is used to compare the values of a single data field of all of the other categories against a chosen category. So if you chose 2007 as your base category it would show 2006, 2008, and 2009 in terms of how they compared to 2007.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back