ODBC connection

bflan0524

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
helloI have a new work computer and Microsoft access DB (2010) wont work now because it needs an ODBC connection. I still have my old laptop, is there anything I can view looking at the database on my old computer that would show me how to get the connection set up on the new one?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Not sure I understand the problem or the question. On the ribbon, Get External Data > More... ODBC is listed as a data source. Your choices are to link or import the data.
At least I presume you're talking about tables that were linked but have now moved to a different server, hence needing the ODBC connection.

Upvote 0
helloI have a new work computer and Microsoft access DB (2010) wont work now because it needs an ODBC connection. I still have my old laptop, is there anything I can view looking at the database on my old computer that would show me how to get the connection set up on the new one?

First, you nee to install the ODBC driver for the database.

For example, if an MS SQL Server then you will need to install something like this:

Microsoft® ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server® - Windows

You could chek working PC's Control Pane under Add/Remove Programs to see what is installed.

Next, you will need to see if there is a DSN set up. On the working PC, you will find this in the Control Panel under ODBC Data Sources.

Also, make sure the Access database is trusted. You might need to set up a trusted location.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back