OCS or similar?

Jon von der Heyden

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

In my previous employment we used Office Communicator for video/audio conferencing and to share desktop. I've recently started to work for myself from home and I need something similar to work with my clients. I have the full range of MS products (OCS) at my disposal but I realy don't understand how to set this kind of thing up.

Can anyone suggest a good web tutorial on how to set-up an install this (I've been trawling the web but I'm only getting more and more confused)? I don't have servers and such type so I'm hoping I can achieve this on my work station.

Or can you suggest any other similar application that is simple to use and easy to set-up? I've been using webex recently but I think the cost is to high.

I have skype and I can almost achieve with this, but it dictates that my clients must have skype installed too. I believe with Communicator Web Access this isn't necessary.

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Look into GotoMeeting or one of their other products. Very easy to use. I use it quite often with my clients.
Stay away from AT&T and Webex. I have clients with those and we usually waste 15 minutes at least while they try to figure out how to show their desktop or give me control...

Thanks Tracy.

GoToMeeting ... I think I'll try out the free trial and see how it goes.

I already know Office Communicator and I have all the software, but I don't know where to start. I should just perservere and read all the material I can find on the web. Tricky stuff but perhaps a good learning opportunity...

If you want to, I could setup a meeting with you :-)

Sounds good. I could show you those userform functions. I'm sure you could make some suggestions to improve. :)

Tomorrow perhaps? I have conf call tonight with client in NY, using their webex...

dude.. EMAIL ME! yeesh :-P

webex.. my sympathies. You know - i used to love webex - Juan helped me out a few times via it.. but what it's become *shiver*

I recently used Microsoft Live Meeting. It was pretty decent. Doesn't require a client install.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Kris, I don't think that facilitates remote desktop sharing, but then I don't know for sure. But it doesn't say so on their website.

I tried live meeting today but I can't get it to work. Not sure if the problem is on my clients side (firewalls etc.).

I haven't installed GoToMeeting yet either. I'm about to try out Microsoft ShareView...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back