Numeric field overflow

RichardMGreen

Hi guys

I'm relatively new to this, so apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere (I can't find anything using the search).

I'm using two queries to append and then update a table in an Access 2003 database. The linked table that drives it all is linked to an Excel spreadsheet (also 2003).

When I run the append query, I'm getting a "Numeric field overflow" error which seems to mean that some of the values are too long for the fields (highly unlikely as I've set them all to 255 characters for the time being).

Both the linked table and the Access table have all relevant fields set to text, which is fine. The only field not text is a date field which is a date in both tables.

If it helps, I'm doing the same thing on a second Access table and that's working fine.
I've tried copying and then exditing the queries but to no avail.

Any help on sorting this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Im not sure you have this correct, as you mention numeric overflow and yet your using text fields as you mention 255 characters. Perhaps look to use a number fields rather than text fields to sort this issue.

Upvote 0
All the fields are text and should be text. According to the help files, it could be because the fields are too long, which is not possible.

One thing I have noticed, if I open and then close the spreadsheet which is linked in, it seems to work OK.

This is getting very odd.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back