Numeric field overflow - how's it happening?

matttan

I'm at a loss...most times that I try to run a 'make table' query from my data, I get a numeric field overflow error. Here's the setup...

1. I have an Excel-linked table feeding into Access. This has some dummy rows at the top to ensure correct identification of the field type.
2. This data then feeds through a query to 'clean' it - take out the dummy rows and any zero value rows. The resulting select query represents all real transactions.
3. I then have a 'make table' query that tries to take all data from my clean query, and dump it into a new table
4. There are a number of other queries that run at the back of this - notably an append query on data identical in layout to the first dataset, but obviously different information. Exactly the same process takes place.

All of the datafield formats are as they should be. There are no null values - I have set the Excel source so that zero/null values are 0, or in the case of dates, are set as 30 April 2000 (simply a real date well before any authentic transactions) - these dates are subsequently purged to create null values, but only after the combined table is created. I know that this isn't a factor in my error, as when I go to debug, the code stops on the first query (the 'make table').

The data types that I have are text, numbers, dates, percentages (not that this is of great consequence) - that's about it.

Any ideas???

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
try selecting 'field size' as long integer or double for the number field.
this works for a numeric overflow error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMB1982

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back