Normal filter vs pivot tables

sharshra

Office Version
  1. 365
For one of my programs, I can use series of normal filters or use pivot tables to achieve same result. But wanted to know which provides optimal results, better performance & which is better. Any suggestions please?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
The pivot allows you to drag and drop and organise better than a filtered table, you can be intuitive with the pivot. If all you want is a number at the end of it, i would still suggest the pivot normally

Upvote 0
Thanks, Mole999. Yes, I' using pivots now since it gives much flexibility. However, just wanted to know, in terms of performance, which is better - normal filters or pivots.

Upvote 0
which is better - normal filters or pivots.

It really depends on what you're trying to do, since they're different animals. One big advantage of Pivot Tables vs. Filtering is that you can hide the source data with Pivots.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Smitty. As you rightly said, they are different animals. Please note that I can use either normal filter or pivot tables to get the same output. In terms of performance, wanted to know which is better.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fifa2020

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back