Non updatable record set

acn4fun

This is similar to the last thread which I followed and am still not able to update the records.

I have table 1 and table 2 which I perform an inner join query. The fields in both tables are exactly the same.

For the record source of the subform, a query is performed against the abovementioned inner join query selecting the records from the table that I want to allow the user to edit via the subform and adding criteria to provide values back to non visible text boxes which pass the values to combo box selections.

The combo box selections work perfect. The issue is in attempting to edit the data the subform which displays the result set is locked for editing.

Can data be edited from this method??

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Well the way i fixed my problem with the non updatable recordset was to have the main table. The one with the most records, and put a relationship between each table. i had 3, i didn't interlink them (each table wasn't joined with each table). I had the main table, then made a relationship from the main table to one of the other tables, then from the main table again to the last table i had. Then i created the queries, which isn't important. then when i created the form i just put the main form onto the page. then i created 2 subforms with all the data in them except the employee number (which was the relationship between the tables). so i'd suggest create a subform for one of the 2 tables and see how that works

Upvote 0
Response

I did not follow that response.

Could you please break down step by step?

I'm relatively new to forms.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
sure no problem. umm let see how to put this, if its too confusing let me know
firstly you have 2 tables
make a relationship between one of the main titles that are used in both tables eg employees number, things like that

then once you have made that relationship then you can create the form. but the form has to have a sub form of one of the tables. so lets just say your main table, the most used data is put onto the form. then you create a subform that you put the other tables data into. but make sure that when you put the sub form in that you dont put the relationshiped data into it eg employee number. because this causes conflict between the two bits of data. eg, if you have the employee number on the main form. dont put it in the sub form. this should allow for you to enter data into the form

Upvote 0
Forms

Do you have a record source listed as one of the tables? I do not have a record source listed for either the main form or the subform. Rather the control source is a query.

The main form consists of 2 combo boxes. The subform is the result set of the combo boxes.

Both tables contain the EXACT same fields. The secondary table is created using a make table command to create a subset of exceptions of the main table.

I created the relationship based on the primary key field which is not included on either of the forms. And followed the directions as listed.

Upvote 0
Well there's the problem i think, both tables have the exact same records. When i created mine i had one recordset that was the same. which was employee number. and one was in the main form and the other was in the sub form, and that stopped me from being able to enter data (to my best knowledge) and once i removed the employee number from the second form (sub form) it allowed me to enter data. i'm guessing it's a conflict between the two tables as if you enter data into one box it cannot automatically enter the data into the other box of the same record. so i think it must be a conflict. you may have to change the layout completely to get this to work, unless someone has another suggestion.

Upvote 0
Hi
I haven't read the posts in detail but have you had a look at this webpage?. It might explain why you are getting that error - in particular, have a read of the section titled "Data can't be updated"..
HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soizicmc

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back