no solution to calculated fields wrong subtotals problem as stated on page 119 of pivot tables data crunching book

• Thread starter Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date Start date
U

Unregistered

After many hours of learning how to do calculated fields in my pivot table, I hit a major setback when I read in Pivot Tables Data Crunching that there is no solution to the example given on page 119 of calculated fields giving the wrong subtotal or total.

The work-around given on page 119 takes away the effectiveness of pivot table calculated fields since it says to eliminate subtotals and totals and then calculate your own totals.

Now I concerned that my calculated fields may give wrong sub-totals and totals. I have to manually recheck my totals and subtotals of calculated fields since I cannot rely on the accuracy of calculated fields.

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Yes, in my opinion, the calculated items feature was poorly implemented by Microsoft.

See the section on grouping text fields (bottom of page 97 through the middle of page 99). This is a more effective method to achieve the desired result.

Bill

Bill,

Pages 97-99 shows how to group text fields but it doesn't define what a text field is. Can grouping be done for data columns also? Or is grouping only for row items? Can the group feature do all that calculated fields are supposed to do plus have correct totals and subtotals? Thanks

George

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaseyJones1979

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back