Nice!.....But can it make me a cup of tea?

dave3009

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hi Everyone

At the start of this year I knew very little about the full potential of Excel, in fact I think my knowledge extended to SUM, SUBTOTAL, COUNTIF in terms of formula and basic cell formatting if I was lucky.

I have been working in the same place for 3+ years and I was getting a little p'd off with the huge amount of admin we had to do. There seemed to be spreadsheets to check spreadsheets and other ones for those too. I got to a point where I was sick of sending book after book to my manager for them to have to manually update their book for them to send it on (and so on and so on). So I marched myself to my nearest book shop and invested in a range of materials to teach me Excel.

After I got the basic bit out the way I then discovered VBA which in turn lead me back to the book shop to invest in yet more material. Then once I had read through all that I searched the internet and swiftly sign up to this site.

From all of my learning (and help from this site for a full list of people I want to thank click on 'Memberlist') I fully automated the previous process down to everyone just having a single book to work from, all automated, all able to customise the way they looked at data etc. I decided it was time to show my manager what I had done in hope of his approval (after all I was expecting each sales rep to save about 2 hours admin time and the managers around 16 per week) and approval I got.

I then went to roll it out at a sales meeting. I went through the automated process and all the features and benefits (as a salesman does) and everyone seemed extremely happy with the new system.

Then for the back of the room our MD says "Can it make me a cup of tea? I'll use it if it can". Just imagine the foul language that was muttered under my breath.

The system got used without the need for the MD to get a cup of tea, but I really wanted to see if anyone had been given the most useless and ridiculous request for spreadsheet feature. More so I would be interested to see if anyone actually built them in just to show someone up?

Cheers

Dave

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hi Smitty

It was not really about playing pranks on someone, more getting comeupance on someone. For example:

"I have rebuilt this book system to incorporate your requests and yes (Mr MD) it can make you a cup of tea"

I did spend alot of time mopping up after reading the posts in the afore mentioned post and trying out the codes, most of the posts in the Lounge have me in fits of laughter.

Thanks for responding to my first Lounge post

Dave

(dave3009 is my nickname which is my real name plus birthday. I choose this because dave is almost always taken for any forum I join up to)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gatje

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back