Newest/Oldest Date lookup

DRExcel515

Board Regular
I have a list of dates 12/31/2017, 11/30/2017 etc. in column B going back in most cases 15 years on a rolling month end basis. I was able to use this formula to pull in the oldest date:

MINA(INDEX('SQL Dump'!C:C,MATCH(Calcs!B3,'SQL Dump'!B:B,0))) This pulls in the oldest date for each identifier correctly, but I tried using a similar formula but with MAXA to grab the latest month end date for each identifier, but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Does your posted formula of

MINA(INDEX('SQL Dump'!C:C,MATCH(Calcs!B3,'SQL Dump'!B:B,0)))

give you any different results using your data from this formula

=INDEX('SQL Dump'!C:C,MATCH(Calcs!B3,'SQL Dump'!B:B,0)))

I ask this because I think the second formula should return a single value, and therefore slapping a MINA on the front simply repeats that value.
And I assume MAXA does the same.

Upvote 0
Yes you are correct! I guess since it was bringing me the oldest month end I thought it was working properly. So it's just giving me the first occurrence (hence the oldest month end). Do you have a formula that will look up the oldest and newest dates for a symbol on another tab like I was trying to do above?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Perhaps:

=MIN(IF('SQL Dump'!B:B=Calcs!B3,'SQL Dump'!C:C))

Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter for array formula.

I think you could possibly re-express this as a SUMPRODUCT for a non-array formula

WBD

Upvote 0
Yes the SQL Dump tab has the dates listed oldest to newest in a pivot table. Some are a full 5yr of month-end data but some are not which in part is making this more of a challenge, as well as the data will change every month.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
How would you re-express the sum product >> Sumproduct(if( ? If I can avoid the array I'd prefer to as I already have quite a few in this sheet and it's getting a little big and slow:(

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I don't think using SUMPRODUCT is going to make it quicker; it will just save you hitting Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Your formulas are going to be slow because they work on whole columns (B:B, C:C etc.) rather than just the data that is present (e.g. B1:B16732)

David

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back