Newbie question

englishkid19

Board Regular
Hi Guys & Gals.

I have been using MS EXCEL for a few years and am proficient in writing VBA in excel to automate data manipulation routines and pivot table creation for monthly reporting tasks. I am wondering what peoples opinions are on the following:

Our current processs is as follows ;

Data manipulation in excel - ( we export .csv files from our data storage area into excel run v b a code on the .csv and save as an .xls )

From that point we use pivot tables to extract the meaningful data that is required to feed it up the chain to management to manage performance via either word docs or excel tables/charts depending on their specific preference.

I have some experience of Access but am by no means proficient. I have a general feeling it would be possible to extract the numbers I need via Access Queries qjuicker than by manually filtering to specific number ranges on a pivot table each month.

My problem is when the initial source data table changed at the end of the month how do you refresh all your queries to accept the path of the new added table ( its basically a like for like replacement of last months data )...........

I am open to any suggestions comments ,
Thanks for your help

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
You can update the old table with the new one, and write a query that selects just the new data, then have the other queries select from that query instead of the table.

Upvote 0
Generally I'd use the same table - just add the new data to the bottom of the table, make sure you've got a date field in the table to identify the month and run my queries using the date field to limit the results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssmith04

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back