Newbie (if even) to Access

KentKHI

Hey Folks!

I'm an excel user who keeps getting frustrated with the limitations of the "flat database". I have just purchased Office 2003 Pro, and would like to start learning Access. Here is a little history about what I am doing and what I would like to do:

I currently use Excel for estimating new custom home construction. I have spent probably 9 months creating and refining a system that works, and with the help of Mr Excel is very automated and impressive (to me). One of my largest frustrations is that I would like a single database that I can pull all of my estimating info from. In excel, I have a template that includes a database and each time I start a new estimate, I have to save a copy of the template which carries the whole database.

I would like to link the information of estimates and costs, specs (outline form), schedules, clients, and subcontractors. all in one large program. The big question is where do I start?

I have a medium amount of knowledge with VBA in Excel. I understand this will help a little. I hate classroom learning (too slow). Does anyone have any books they recommend for a brand new user? (I noticed the new book announcement) Is there templates or existing databases that I can use to learn from?

I'm just looking for a bit of an introduction and wisdom from the experienced.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
i think you can import your excel sheet to access.
the whole sheet data will be stored in a table.

if you are trying to build a big package, then first you should design the tables- what each table is about and their relationships with each other.
if you are having some constant data on which you are doing some processing each month, then, store the constant table as the Master table and each month's result in another table.

hope i'm in the right direction. - that this is what you asked for.

Upvote 0
If you're after books, I can recommend Helen Feddema's Microsoft Access 2002 Inside Out. It will get you going with Access database design, as will the Access book on this site.
MS also provides a download called Understanding Relational Design, on the Knowledge Base. Shows how the Northwind table structure was put together. The Northwind sample database is also a good learning tool.
Also, take a look here. Some good sample databases.

Denis

Upvote 0
lekha said:
if you are having some constant data on which you are doing some processing each month, then, store the constant table as the Master table and each month's result in another table.
Is it not better to store all the data for the results in one table with a field that indicates the month?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses so far! I think I might get the reccomended books on Access. It looks like my project is more than just a simple database. I'm sure that as I get started you'll be hearing more from me.

Thanks,

Kent

Upvote 0
Is it not better to store all the data for the results in one table with a field that indicates the month?

hi norie

i meant just the same.
thanks for making it clear.

regards..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiden Jenner

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back