New user needs help with the steps for creating first db

bobbieexcel

At a previous job, I used an awesome Access db. I know enough about using a db to know what I need and what Access is capable of, but not the first thing about creating one. So here I go on my first attempt. I need the basic steps explained. I have created all of my tables that I need. Is the next step relationships? Or creating the queries and forms? When and how do I use calculations, and is it as easy as setting formulas in Excel? Could someone give me an example or send me a sample? Also, I have not been able to create the main page. What I was accustomed to is opening the db, and having the main page that you click on what area you want to be in. I want to get this part created so I know I am successfully modeling the db after the one I used to use.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Hi bobbieexcel

Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft Access. By the time you are finished creating a complete database application you will have few hairs in your head, your forehead will be raw from the continuous contact with the wall in front of you and you'll be unable to communicate with other members of the human race in any other language than babble-babble-babble.

However, to begin.

Now that you have your tables constructed the next thing is, as you have mentioned, queries. Tables do not necessarily require relationships, but they are the bedrock of a successful database as they help the database administrator or DA(your new fancy title - congrats!) to sort data into tables and not to duplicate entries.

The query builder in Access is probably the best one around as it not only allows the DA to drag fields into place easily, but it will offer plenty error messages when you get things wrong (yes, things do go wrong).

Create a query as described above and view it as a SQL statement (Click the "SQL" view button). Access' SQL view is excellent for the up-and-coming DA (that's you bobbieexcel) to learn SQL.

Forms are very easy to create. Simply right_click a table name and SaveAs a Form. A complete form with controls bound to the table will be generated and all you do is to drag and drop the controls around the form until you have them where you want them. You can even make a form based on a query-a very handy feature.

VBA code works behind the scenes and gives all Office applications their real strength. Not only does one get very able application, but allows you to create a fully functioning custom made app. to suit your (or your clients) needs.

Calculated fields are tricky and have been known to result in DA's ending their days in rubber rooms. They require some fancy SQL statements. Bone up on them before any attempts. The Access query builder allows you to add calculated fields but it requires some insider knowledge to do so. Get some on-line help from MS knowledgebase or search Google.

The main page of which you speak is the switchboard. Access has a switchboard wizard that will create a menu form for you. It's under Tools--> Database Utilities --> Switchboard Manager. I personally create simple forms that open other forms(you use the DoCmd.FormOpen "FormName" method. If you are to do many tasks in Access VBA then the DoCmd method is your best friend).

Try some of those things and in a few years you will be sitting around a warm pc with other experienced DA's telling war stories about those days when you had few hairs and fewer compliments for Mr. Gates and his company (that will pass, but it's good to vent).

Good luck.

anvil19
:eek:

Upvote 0
Thank you so much! I will be spending my weekend trying to build the queries and forms, and thanks to your help, I will have a much easier time of it. I am sure I will be writing back, thanks Anvil19!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smllchng5

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back