New to Access - Need some guidance

Meat4grinder

Board Regular
I know this might not be the right place but i am learning access and would like a mentor or someone to guide me in the right direction. if You can help with this message me via here or skype Meat4Grinder. Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I been watching a Tutorial -kinda understand it but need someone to help me put one together. Its for a fun one right now mainly to do trail and error, however i dont know if i am going the right direction so i mainly need someone to bounce idea's off and guide me in doing the correct steps so that later on it dont mess up.

Upvote 0
I been watching a Tutorial -kinda understand it but need someone to help me put one together. Its for a fun one right now mainly to do trail and error, however i dont know if i am going the right direction so i mainly need someone to bounce idea's off and guide me in doing the correct steps so that later on it dont mess up.

The best way to learn database development is to do it. In the process you will try thing. Some things will work. Some won't. Evaluate, Learn. Try again. Keep repeating this process.

Every programmer will ness up a lot when they start. There is just to much to learn. It takes lots of practice to gain the experience to not "mess up" a lot.

Also look at examples. Check out the North Wind sample database and the other templates that come with Access.

Upvote 0
From a PM:

Meat4grinder said:
I been trying new thing however i think i am looking at access the way i was using excel. Might be over thinking it so i am thinking to get some classes only way i will get some one on one, so that i can see how to do this correctly. I built most of my tables kinda understand how to make a query and how to make basic forms. However i am looking at forms like VBA (in excel) where a button adds the information to the proper places, now that i dont know how it works in access. As you can see i got some fundamentals but dont know whats next and how to tie it back together.

1)

Meat4grinder said:
I been trying new thing however i think i am looking at access the way i was using excel.
That will only confuse you and make it harder to learn proper database programming.

Don't get fool by how similar Access and Excel look. It is only by appearance not by how they really work.

Excel is a spreadsheet6 NOT a relational database. It is true you can make what appears to be a table but that does not make it a relational database.

Access is a Relational database. Some Excel really does not handle.

Most of the Excel workbooks I have seen would be considered a very poor database design and vice versa.

2)
Meat4grinder said:
As you can see i got some fundamentals but dont know whats next and how to tie it back together.

Hard to say if you have any of the fundamentals since you are using Access like you would Excel.

3)

Meat4grinder said:
I built most of my tables kinda understand how to make a query and how to make basic forms. However i am looking at forms like VBA (in excel) where a button adds the information to the proper places, ...

Access forms and Excel User form as nothing alike.

A true basic form in Access can add, edit and delete records with NO vba code or buttons! It really is true that a basic form in Access has not VBA code or buttons to function.

4)
Meat4grinder said:
Might be over thinking it so i am thinking to get some classes only way i will get some one on one, so that i can see how to do this correctly.

You are not over think this at all.

Relational Database programming is much more difficult that spreadsheets. This is also true of Access.

Some people learn better in a class setting. Some people learn well from books. Some people learn well from videos.

From 30+ years of training programmers, I find that everyone learns best by doing. This is true of class room training.

Also check out the free training from Microsoft: Microsoft Virtual Academy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back