New Problem hehe: CONTROLTIP TEXT

satty

Board Regular
Hey again guys,

lets c if we can hack this one!! :wink:

i have a database now, YIPPYYY, and on this database i have added buttons as navigation, and i have added CONTROLTIP TEXT to the buttons, so when a user hovers there cursor over the button it tells them extra info.

The Problem:

i have got a form called frmOPTIONS. i have been thinking, is it possible to have a button, lets say a TOGGLE BUTTON, and when this button is clicked off, All the CONTROLTIP TEXT throughout the database, turns off? and vise vera?

im not sure if this is possible but knowin you guys, im sure you can cum up with something???

THANX People

Satty

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Yes, but it's going to be a little more difficult than it appears. You can set the ControlTipText for each text box on each form in code:
Code:
Forms!Your_Form.Form!Your_Textbox.ControlTipText=""
The problem is that every form will have to be loaded for this to work or you'll get a Run-Time error when trying to access a form that isn't loaded. So, basically, what you need the button to do is to Load every Form, empty or fill all of the ControlTipText's, and then close all forms except for the current form. That seems like a lot of work; my question is why? Why would you want to turn off all of your ControlTips?

Upvote 0
hey again Dugan Train,

guy, i guess you have all the solutions...a one man army i c :pray:

when you say all the forms have to be loaded, what does that mean, do you mean that the forms have to open? im not quite sure what that means.

anyways thanx again!

Satty

Upvote 0
Yes, that is exactly what i mean. you can have your forms invisible, but either way they have to be "open" (i.e. loaded in memory). I'm still curious why you're wanting to do this.

Upvote 0
The reason i want to do this is becuase once users get used to the Database System they wont want this feature and wont be of much use.

so.. to this will mean users dont get annoyed and frustrated with this 'helpful' feature. for beginners it will be perfect and once they get used to the system, they can turn it off.

anyways, i was wondering is there no other way, will i have to have the forms loaded in memory?

thanx

Satty

Upvote 0
Makes sense. Well, let me ask you this: how is the db set up? Since it sounds like you're going to be having multiple users, are you going to go with a front-end/back-end split (which is pretty much imperative if you're looking at having multiple simultaneous users) or are you going to keep it all as one .mdb file? If you're going with a fe/be, then you can give every user their own front-end file. That way, each user can toggle the Control-Tip Text on/off via your code without affecting the others. And to answer your question, I really don't think that there's a "built-in" feature that will allow you to turn off Control-Tips. The form load/turn-on/turn-off thing is probably the way to go; it's pretty simple code if you want to give it a try.

Upvote 0
hey,

yea i only have 1 .mdb file. the users logon however, its not like they have different user rights. all users have exactly the same rights to add, modify delete etc... The main purpose of the Log on form is to block out unwanted users.

yea, i guess ill give the above code a shot, thanx mate!!

Satty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back