New here and some general questions.

Larry D

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone, it was refreshing to find this board. I am not a programmer, and never have used VBA, so I am attempting to utilize some online tutorials. I found this forum on a Google search and thought I might be able to get some advice / help in this issue. While at the same time learning more about Excel. I have read the guidelines on posting and conducted a search for the item I need help on. I found a few, but they did not specifically address my issues.

I need some advice so I don't make (too many) mistakes.
My main questions are:
1. How much detail is needed in a post, in order for everyone to understand my needs?
2. My issue involves VBA, do I copy and past what I have in the body of my post?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance that you can give me.

Hi Larry and welcome to the board:

1. How much detail is needed:
That depends on the nature of the issue. However I urge you to describe the situation and the problem, and not your perceived solution. A sample of data, via table in the body, or even a screenshot, goes a long way. Consider simplifying the sample if it is complex, or post an excerpt.

2. Pasting VBA:
Yes, post it to the body. You will see a VBA tag in the editor. Click that and it will produce tags. Post your code within the tags. Important here again is to post an excerpt of the relevant bit(s), along with detail on any errors encountered (including error description) and reference the line of code where it breaks, should you have any runtime errors.

1. Give as much detail as posable. It also helps to post the expected results so when testing formulas/VBA code the person knows what you are expecting.

2. It is best to use XL2BB to post date from the spreadsheet so it will be easy for the person helping you to get the data into Excel. The link to download the add-in is in the tool bar of the reply window. When posting VBA code use the vba code tag. This makes your code easier to read as it keeps indents.

Hi Larry and welcome to the board:

1. How much detail is needed:
That depends on the nature of the issue. However I urge you to describe the situation and the problem, and not your perceived solution. A sample of data, via table in the body, or even a screenshot, goes a long way. Consider simplifying the sample if it is complex, or post an excerpt.

2. Pasting VBA:
Yes, post it to the body. You will see a VBA tag in the editor. Click that and it will produce tags. Post your code within the tags. Important here again is to post an excerpt of the relevant bit(s), along with detail on any errors encountered (including error description) and reference the line of code where it breaks, should you have any runtime errors.

Thank you for the information. Like I mentioned, I am using as many online videos as I can to work this issues. I'm not sure when I will be able to post what I have, as it seems each video tells me something a little different on how to do it, lol.

I have written a step by step process on what I need the spreadsheet to accomplish, hopefully it will get my idea across.

Larry

1. Give as much detail as posable. It also helps to post the expected results so when testing formulas/VBA code the person knows what you are expecting.

2. It is best to use XL2BB to post date from the spreadsheet so it will be easy for the person helping you to get the data into Excel. The link to download the add-in is in the tool bar of the reply window. When posting VBA code use the vba code tag. This makes your code easier to read as it keeps indents.

Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply. I can see I came to the right place for assistance. As I stated above, I have written out a step by step process that I need the spreadsheet to accomplish. Hopefully I can get this running in order to assist the person in my office that is in charge of our instructors.

Larry

as it seems each video tells me something a little different on how to do it, lol.
That's because there's 101 ways of doing the same thing in Excel ? ok - not that many, but there's usually more than one way to do something and you'll see it here when you post a question - different solutions will get posted (which is why we don't "Close" questions).

That's because there's 101 ways of doing the same thing in Excel ? ok - not that many, but there's usually more than one way to do something and you'll see it here when you post a question - different solutions will get posted (which is why we don't "Close" questions).
Star,
Guess the first one I should have looked at was how to save it. I closed a window and it was my coding lol. Not that it mattered, it was not running anyways. I will go back tomorrow and start it over. I just want some halfway decent code to post, I have a detailed list of what I want done now I am trying to figure out how to code it.

Saving your workbook saves the code and vice versa - it's all the same file. You can use the standard keyboard shortcut to save in the VBE or there's a save icon on the toolbar.
BUT - you cannot save code in an XLSX workbook. The code will be stripped. You must save the workbook as an XLSM or XLAM (addin - special type of workbook, don't use unless you know what you are doing).
Closing a window doesn't delete the code, just hides the window. Double-click on the module in the Project Explorer to open it back up.

Star, thanks for the information. I posted my VBA question, but I may have overwhelmed everyone with all the work I need help on. I thought it would be best to list everything I needed the code to do, instead of breaking it down. I may go back and see if my help question was understandable by everyone who read the post.

You must save the workbook as an XLSM or XLAM (addin - special type of workbook, don't use unless you know what you are doing)
Or XLSB ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nithchun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back