New Board: Rogue spaces in Formulas

barry houdini

MrExcel MVP
I notice that if I post a formula, like in my last post in thread here, that extra spaces are sometimes "randomly" added [in this case within the range Sheet1!$E1:$E500 0]. These spaces can make the formula unusable unless edited out.

Is there any way of preventing this without using code tags around the formula?

Re: Rogue spaces

I don't know what is going on - we'll look into it, tho it may be awhile.

I notice that if I post a formula, like in my last post in thread here, that extra spaces are sometimes "randomly" added [in this case within the range Sheet1!$E1:$E500 0]. These spaces can make the formula unusable unless edited out.

Is there any way of preventing this without using code tags around the formula?
It was a setting for wrapping a continuous block more than 50 chars (by assuming that it is supposed to be a word). Normally
Code:
 tag helps for those long continuous blocks. This makes sure that thread page doesn't look wider than the displayable area of the browser.

I set this option to be 120 and now it should work ok. The old threads should look ok since it is "display setting", not saved with spaces in the database. 

Note: Erik - recently displayed threads might look still having spaces for a while but they will look ok when the thread display cache is automatically cleaned up.

Suat

Hi, hotpepper,

What was the formula? I can't find the problem...
Perhaps not visible in my browser IE6?

It's breaking the word COLUMN into COLUM N

INDEX($M$1:$O$1,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(OFFSET($A4,,(COLUMN(A1)*2)-1,,2),$M$1:$O$1),0)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, right after the 50nth character
it will be repaired, said smozgur, the longest string without spaces may have length 120 from now on
anyway, using CODEtags to post formulas, will avoid this and other trouble

Happy New Year!!!!!!

It's breaking the word COLUMN into COLUM N

INDEX($M$1:$O$1,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(OFFSET($A4,,(COLUMN(A1)*2)-1,,2),$M$1:$O$1),0)
Is that possible that you copied & pasted that function from another thread as it was being displayed? Because the actualy post had a space. I just edited your post to delete that space and it shows ok now.

For everyone's attention who is reading this thread, you can either put some spaces after paranthesises or commas in the functions - for example IF( A1=1,1, 2) - or use
Code:
 bbcode instead to post functions including more than 120 chars without single space. The trick is using a space in at least every 120 chars, thus board software can wrap the text to avoid page to be displayed wider than your browser's width.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back