New at Access - How to do something simple?

behedwin

I am completely new to access
I have previusly worked in excel and googled my way around to work a little bit with VBA code.

I want to learn how to build some simple application to manage tables of data. Input and output/read of data.

I now wonder if access is the right way to go
and if there are some good guides on how to work with access

For example
How to use the examples that comes with access, can i adapt them more easly and create my first apps?
How to publish an application and hand out to users?

(i have access 2016)

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
The link I provided in the other related thread (https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/gener...w-go-here-how-develop-my-sheet-even-more.html) we have been conversing on is a good place to start: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Database-design-basics-eb2159cf-1e30-401a-8084-bd4f9c9ca1f5

Also, the Access database usually comes with the Northwind Database sample. If you Google "Access Northwind tutorial", you will find some good exercises you can work through to familiarize yourself with Access.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry if this seems like a double post from the excel section.
But i thought id move over here to keep my questions where the "access" ppl might look.

I have started a little bit to test the access previews that come
ill try to get one of those working first....

i want to get a feel of what a finished application can look like in access.
as i have understood it i would save my access file as an accde file for the users, is this correct?
but how do i "unlock" it so i can make upgrades to the design and keep all the new data that have been saved by the users?

Upvote 0
as i have understood it i would save my access file as an accde file for the users, is this correct?
but how do i "unlock" it so i can make upgrades to the design and keep all the new data that have been saved by the users?
A well-designed Access database, is usually split into a back-end (an accdb that holds all the data) and a front-end (an accdb or accde that holds all other objects and VBA). It is this front-end that you give to your users (each their own copy). The data is linked from the back-end to the front-end.

You keep a copy of the accdb that was used to create the accde, so any time you have new updates to make to it, you update your accdb and publish a new accde from it to distribute to your users.

Upvote 0
how would i make the back-end and front-end connection.

if i understood you right.

1. I have one accdb file that is the back-end. In this file all data is saved
2. I distribute accdb/accde files to the users and keep one for myself.
(if i want to make a change i create new accde files and send them out to the users)

But how do i connect so the users accde files talks to my accdb file and saves the data in that file?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KENNETH ROGERS

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back