New Accessibility Tab In Excel Ribbon - 2410

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on May 20, 2021.
May 20th, 2021 is Global Accessibility Awareness Day. It is a great day to take a look at the new Check Accessibility tab in the Excel ribbon.
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast episode 2410.
There's a new Accessibility tab in the Excel ribbon.
Hey, welcome back to MrExcel netcast. I am Bill Jelen.
Today, May 20th, 2021 is Global Accessibility Awareness Day.
Let's take a look at this awesome feature that was just introduced to the Excel Insiders channel.
Alright, so on the Review tab we have check Accessibility.
It's also down here in the status bar. Click either one of those. And if you're sharing this workbook you should always Check Accessibility and see what's going on.
So it it offers a new panel over here with a list of reports and brand new tab in the ribbon that will help you to fix these various things.
Like, for example: here's a warning that there are four merged cells in this sheet.
Merged cells make it difficult for screen readers, and so if I come here. I can open this up and there is a recommended action to unmerge.
But I can also see that all four of those are right here.
I can choose those four cells and to unmerge cells like that and there we are good to go.
Missing alternative text: There are two images here, and for each one it gives me an option to add a description. So that picture two is the clouds.
Which is strictly decorative. That way the screen reader knows to ignore it.
Exclusive use of color. Were those down here.
So, we have negative numbers that are formatted to appear in red without any minus sign. We open that and it takes us into format cell number.
Which we have right here in number format and I can choose a number format where the negative numbers are in either with a negative sign or parentheses and red. Or, I guess I could write my own.
And here we have hard-to-read text contrast in several different places, right?
So for each of those they offer me little things where I can change the text fill or the shape fill.
These are great things that you just may not think about if you aren't affected by color blindness.
It is good to know that you're creating things that are really hard for other people to read.
Now look, this is a serious subject, but I realize I'm being a smart aleck here.
Here I put some one point font. This text is super important, right?
That's really hard to read, but it didn't seem to catch that.
Also, over here I hid some stuff using white font. And I guess that's me hiding stuff on purpose.
That's the universal way to hide stuff rather than the semi colon, semi colon, semi colon, use the white font.
But hey, this is this is great, that they are alerting you in the new Accessibility tab, where you have all kinds of things that you can use to try and make your worksheets more accessible.
Well, check out my new book, MrExcel 2021, Unmasking Excel.
If you like these videos, please Like, Subscribe and Ring the Bell.
Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the YouTube comments below.
Well, thank you stopping by. We'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back