network mapping

katn

We have a database on a shared network drive. All users are mapped to it. Each user has a gui mde database. This file calls up the database on the server. We need to move this database to our new server but we cannot find where to map the mde database to the main database. Any ideas?[/code]

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Disclaimer: I’ve never done anything similar, but I’ve been thinking about it as an option in recent months.

I think it depends on how the mde references the backend. Most likely, you’re going to have to rewrite code or the reference to the backend and then re-comple to convert into a new mde.

What I have been thinking of doing for myself is this:

Include the backend location as a field value within a table that’s used to store all the default values. When the mde is opened, it would first look to see if the mdb backend is present. If not, it would go look to see if a specific file is present in a specific location. If yes, it can open this text file and read the ‘instructions’ from the file. Instruction would be to change the field value in the Defaults table (for the backend mdb location)

What I’m not certain of (mostly because I haven’t tried to actually do this yet) is whether you could use the built in re-link option after changing a few values or if you’d have to remove all table links and then rebuild them. My first guess is the latter.

- Now Tracking down where the backend reference might be. It may not be anywhere specific. If the tables are linked, you might find the information in the TableDefs object.

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjaimes042510

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back