Net Promoter Scores

AvcGJS

Board Regular
Anyone else involved in using Net Promoter Scores in their work, i'd be interested to hear what size of data sample you think is adequate.

I'm of the mind that its a methodology that favours big numbers.... but how big, can they ever be too big?

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
We use Net Promoter Scoring on our Quarterly and Annual Services Survey. I am not directly involved in deciding what the "statistically relevant" quantity of responses is, but I can tell you that we send out 11 surveys to about ~20K people every quarter. Every Survey has the NPS basis question on it, among others. From those 20K we get a average of 1.2K total responses.

We do not directly involve ourselves in compiling the survey results, as we do not want any possibility of perceived influence in the scoring. I have talked to the people at the company who compiles our scoring and they tell me that for our purposes, they would be comfortable with 1K responses in generating the NPS but are happy with 1.2K.

Of course, ideally we would get a response from every survey mailed--which would give us a complete picture. But even if we got that, there would be people out there who would survey with better and worse scores for the same time period if they were surveyed, so no survey can truly be 100% reliable, even with a 100% response.

Can the sample be too big? I think the question is really reliant upon your ability to process the information. If you find yourself spending huge amounts of time entering response data, you may want to do more research on how much is needed to be relevant.

If I got a 100% response rate from 20K surveys, would it really make a huge difference from the 1.2K average response? Experience tells me probably not. I have had survey cycles with as high as 2.3K responses, and only a 1 basis point shift in scores. On that projection, 20K responses could only shift scores about 3 or 4 basis points (based on doubling of the response rate = .01 point shift). So the effect of 20K vs. 1.2K is minimal.

Look around the Net for "statistically relevant". Even if statistics is not your cup of tea, it's a good concept to have at least a ground level understanding of. I know that when I started my job here, it was a concept not understood by many who looked at the Surveys regularly. A little education went a longway to solving some very confused opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back