Nesting Count & Search Function - it it possible (or alternative)?

Lycanthrope74

Hi All

New to the boards & wondered if you could help me with a challenge: -

I have one worksheet showing a pattern of 10 matches weekly football scores. I have another sheet showing all possible combinations of three scores 125,000 possible combinations. I can tell from a simple Countif formula =

=COUNTIF('Weekly Patterns'!B:B, "*"&E3&"*") that pattern 0-0, 1-1, 1-1 has occurred 7 times in 8 seasons. I now want to find out how many times that pattern has occurred starting at Position 1 in the weekly set of ten, how many times from position 2, how many times from position 3 etc etc up to & including position 8.

I'm guessing I need to somehow Nest a FIND or SEARCH Function with a COUNTIF or COUNTIFS function. I have tried seemingly infinite variants of the following: -

=COUNTIFS('3 Combos'!B:B,SEARCH('3 Combos'!E3,'Weekly Patterns'!B:B,4))

(I have position 4 as the starting Position in the SEARCH because i know i have two of the 7 total matches atrting in Position 4 so, I should get 2 as the formulas result then 1 for position 5, 3 for position 6 & 1 for position 7 which is the 7 the COUNTIF is finding)

I'm therefore expecting a result of 2 for the nested formula but, though it is a legal formula & doesn;t return any error, I continually get zero as the answer regardless of what starting position I choose or, however, I try to vary the formula (i've even tried nesting the COUNTIFS inside SEARCH but, that doesn't work either).

I think venturing into Array formulas may be the only way to tackle this(?) but, they are a little beyond the scope of my current Excel knowledge(?); would anyone else know how i can tackle this using standard formulas (nested or otherwise) &, if it has to be an array, what that would look like?

Many thanks in hope more than anything else:)

Scott.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back