Nested If statement with conditional formatting

rustym

Hi everyone,

I am working a spreadsheet with actions and deadlines in Excel 2003. In column I is the original due date, column J contains new due date and column K contains completed date. I need to add a status column that clearly shows if the action has been completed, is on going or if it's late. My idea is to create a nested if statement that returns a 1 if the action is completed, 2 if its on going, and a 0 if it's late. From there I can use conditional formatting to make the status cell green for completed, red for late, etc.

The statement that I came up with is the following but it keeps giving me an error.

IF(k5 < TODAY(), 1 , IF(or(j5 > today(); i5 > today()), 0,2))))

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
When I pasted your fromula into excel it didn't like the ; and I changed it to , then it worked

Upvote 0
You have put a semi-colon where there should be a comma - see below. Thanks

=IF(K5<TODAY(),1,IF(OR(J5>TODAY(),I5>TODAY()),0,2))

regards

Kaps

Upvote 0
Hi WaterGypsy:

I changed the semi colon to a comma but I am still receiving the same error. The message pops up and it highlights ,2,If . I think for some reason it is not accepting anything other than a single logical test and I don't know why.

Upvote 0
This is straight from my test Rustym..... maybe try pasting that into your sheet and seeing what happens?

Upvote 0
This is straight from my test Rustym..... maybe try pasting that into your sheet and seeing what happens?

Can you please re paste your code because I can only see a part of it I think. I need three different outputs (2, 1 and 0) from the If statement and right now your expression only returns a 0 or a 2.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
= if ( k5 < today() , 1 , if ( or ( j5 > today() , i5 > today() ) , 0 , 2 ) )

lots of spaces added in seems to work ......

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help but for some reason your formula still returns an error and I have no idea why. I think it's something that's wrong with my settings or possibly formula properties but I don't know how to go about fixing it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back