Nested IF and MATCH statement issue

deckerch

I am trying to create a project rollup cell based on the values of the values of the subtasks under the main task. The formula I'm using is:

=IF(ISTEXT(MATCH("Need Help",$F3:$F7)),"Need Help",IF(MATCH("Some Issues",$F3:$F7),"Some Issues",IF(MATCH("On Track",$F3:$F7),"WTF?")))

My data set contains all three responses. The result I'm getting is "Some Issues". I would have expected that the "Need Help" would solve first and that would be the answer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Your MATCH syntax is incorrect.
What result are you expecting if it finds of those phrases?

Upvote 0
I am trying to create a project rollup cell based on the values of the values of the subtasks under the main task. The formula I'm using is:

=IF(ISTEXT(MATCH("Need Help",$F3:$F7)),"Need Help",IF(MATCH("Some Issues",$F3:$F7),"Some Issues",IF(MATCH("On Track",$F3:$F7),"WTF?")))

My data set contains all three responses. The result I'm getting is "Some Issues". I would have expected that the "Need Help" would solve first and that would be the answer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Match function returns a number, try isnumber:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Need Help",$F3:$F7)),"Need Help",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Some Issues",$F3:$F7)),"Some Issues",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("On Track",$F3:$F7)),"On Track","WTF?")))

However, this is going to come back with the first match it finds, it won't look for "Some Issues" or "On Track" if it finds Need Help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your MATCH syntax is incorrect.
What result are you expecting if it finds of those phrases?

I expect it resolve in the order the arguments are presented; i.e. If it finds "Need Help", that would be the answer, if it finds "Some Issues" then that would be the answer, and if it finds "On Track" that would be the answer.

Upvote 0
Match function returns a number, try isnumber:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Need Help",$F3:$F7)),"Need Help",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Some Issues",$F3:$F7)),"Some Issues",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("On Track",$F3:$F7)),"On Track","WTF?")))

However, this is going to come back with the first match it finds, it won't look for "Some Issues" or "On Track" if it finds Need Help.

It worked! Fantastic! Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you!!!!

Upvote 0
I expect it resolve in the order the arguments are presented; i.e. If it finds "Need Help", that would be the answer, if it finds "Some Issues" then that would be the answer, and if it finds "On Track" that would be the answer.

I think what Special was saying is that you had a few breaks in your code:

Code:

You only called on the "istext" once, when you have three arguements written, and your did not place the "true" statement on the last arguement for "on track". The syntax being off because all three arguements should mirror one another.

Glad the suggestion worked, best of luck!

Upvote 0
I think what Special was saying is that you had a few breaks in your code:

Code:

You only called on the "istext" once, when you have three arguements written, and your did not place the "true" statement on the last arguement for "on track". The syntax being off because all three arguements should mirror one another.

Glad the suggestion worked, best of luck!

:confused: Ugh! I thought it was working, but during my testing I'm finding that it's not working consistently. Here's what I ended up with my final formula:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Need Help",$F3:$F7)),"Need Help",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Some Issues",$F3:$F7)),"Some Issues",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("On Track",$F3:$F7)),"On Track", "No Match")))

Upvote 0
What are your expected results, and how is the inconsistency looking, what are you getting vs what you want?

Upvote 0
What are your expected results, and how is the inconsistency looking, what are you getting vs what you want?

For example, if I fill in the cells with all "Completed", the formula is returning "Need Help". If I input all "On Track", it returns "Some Issues".

Upvote 0
For example, if I fill in the cells with all "Completed", the formula is returning "Need Help". If I input all "On Track", it returns "Some Issues".

That's on me. Forgot the match style deliminator, so it was default to "1" which is a similiar match. Try this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Need Help",$F3:$F7,0)),"Need Help",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("Some Issues",$F3:$F7,0)),"Some Issues",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("On Track",$F3:$F7,0)),"On Track", "No Match")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back